Learning to use the pattern editor efficiently

Started by vortico, November 05, 2014, 12:06:34

Previous topic - Next topic

vortico

Hi, I've recently begun to make video game music and chiptunes and decided to give tracker software a try instead of Ableton Live, FL Studio, etc. I have a few various questions to help me transition to this different style of workflow. Using samples and instruments is easy, so the remaining skill is efficiently using the pattern editor. Here are my pattern editor efficiency questions.

1) Is a MIDI keyboard useful for actually recording data to a pattern, or do most people just use it for tapping out chords and melodies, and then use the computer keyboard to type in the note names? More specifically, is this the most efficient workflow for recording MIDI chords: Shift-click n channel names to give me n-polyphony, shift-space to enable recording, F7 to start playing, play as accurately as possible (with quantize level 2, e.g.), clean up with keyboard and mouse. What happens if I mess up the take? I have to rectangle select the n channels from the top to bottom and hit Del, or if I'm only using one channel, Ctrl-L Del. Undo is not efficient since it undoes each recorded note at a time.

2) Navigating the columns and rows is made a bit difficult since I have to use Tab and Shift-Tab to go right and left. Am I doing this normally?

3) The Del key only deletes exactly what is highlighted in black. Is there a way I can delete the entire note (i.e. "D-5 05 v64 H66") in one key? I'm currently using Shift-Right,Right,Right to select the note and then Del.

Thanks for the help. I have a lot faith that trackers like OpenMPT have a smooth workflow with practice, but they must be learned in the form of tricks like these.

LPChip

1. I can't speak for everyone, but I do not use my MIDI keyboard to enter notes. I only use it to play when going through my instrument library. When I compose I use the keyboard only, and seldomly the mouse.

2. I do use tab myself too and shift-tab as well. Sometimes I click where I want to enter notes or I hold the cursor keys. But mostly tab. But I work one channel at a time usually and use copy/paste to enter notes quickly.

3. Yeah, I wasn't fond of this behavior myself either. I come from Impulse tracker and it doesn't do that there. So I made a feature suggestion and Saga Musix was kind enough to add support for this. Its not native in OpenMPT, but you can go to the keyboard manager and find support for this. I believe its called Clear Cell (IT style) or Delete Cell (IT style).

Additionally, you may want to try the Impulse Tracker keyboard config. Delete is delete the current cell and move everything up one row, "." is delete the cell and move cursor down one row. Backspace = Clear cell and stay in it, but I never use that one.

Also, to view someone track music in OpenMPT using the keyboard mostly, here's how its been done:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83-2I0ILnj4
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

vortico

Thanks, your advice for making OpenMPT more IT-like is helpful. I've used SchismTracker quite a bit in the past but have only now thought about using trackers as a modern DAW replacement.

I guess this is all I need for now. Time to start practicing (as well as re-learning chord theory, since chiptunes use an entirely different approach than what I am used to.)

Saga Musix

Quote from: vortico on November 05, 2014, 12:06:34
1) Is a MIDI keyboard useful for actually recording data to a pattern, or do most people just use it for tapping out chords and melodies, and then use the computer keyboard to type in the note names?
I use both. Bass lines, drums and things like that are the fastest to be typed in but I like using MIDI for chords (live or paused playback) and melodies (live). Personally, I usually end up with very different (one could say better) chord progressions and melodies when I use a MIDI keyboard compared to entering them on the PC.

Quote from: vortico on November 05, 2014, 12:06:34More specifically, is this the most efficient workflow for recording MIDI chords: Shift-click n channel names to give me n-polyphony, shift-space to enable recording, F7 to start playing, play as accurately as possible (with quantize level 2, e.g.), clean up with keyboard and mouse. What happens if I mess up the take? I have to rectangle select the n channels from the top to bottom and hit Del, or if I'm only using one channel, Ctrl-L Del. Undo is not efficient since it undoes each recorded note at a time.
Yep, that's how it's generally being done, and there's no way to delete a whole take as such since this is not a concept of how OpenMPT works. I'm sure there are ways to improve it but so far nobody made actualy recommendations on how to improve it... ;)

Quote from: vortico on November 05, 2014, 12:06:342) Navigating the columns and rows is made a bit difficult since I have to use Tab and Shift-Tab to go right and left. Am I doing this normally?
Same as LPChip here, depending on how far I have to go. Cursor keys, tab and clicking around in the pattern.

Generally, the start will be slow but you will automate a lot of shortcuts and navigation methods very quickly and probably not think twice about them again (which is why I consider your questions very valuable, since I wouldn't even think about how to improve MIDI input, as I'm accustomed to the current workflow).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.