Audio machine gun effect when saving and clicking on VST display

Started by RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER), November 02, 2014, 16:33:52

Previous topic - Next topic

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)

Hi,

All is in title : I just installed the latest version (at last, 64 bits support, amazing!), but I notice that when I save a song while it is playing, the sound turns into "machine gun" for a very short time (the time the program takes to save, I presume). Same thing when clicking on a VST/VSTi to display it, during a playback : machine gun effect during the little time it requires to be displayed (and also when resizing a VST window, like Kontakt)...

I don't know if this my computer, but all I know is it doesn't happen on all previous versions...

It's a bit annoying when working synchronized to a video, as this delays the sound and then desynchronize it with the video...And I save and display/undisplay VST very often...

Saga Musix

Random guess, since you mentioned 64-bit:
You are using some plugins which don't have the same bitness as the host (e.g. 32-bit plugin in 64-bit OpenMPT). Saving a file may cause a lot of communication between the plugin and OpenMPT. This is a very expensive operation when making use of the plugin bridge. The only practical solution is to use as many plugins of the same bitness as the host as possible. That is, if you use more 32-bit plugins than 64-bit plugins, it would be a good idea to use OpenMPT 32-bit instead of 64-bit, since then fewer plugins (only the 64-bit plugins) would need to make use of the plugin bridge.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)

Saga Musix

Quote from: RG on November 02, 2014, 16:33:52
It's a bit annoying when working synchronized to a video, as this delays the sound and then desynchronize it with the video...And I save and display/undisplay VST very often...
By the way, maybe it would be helpful to use a VST video player like mediavst from the pvst package. Simply load mediavst.dll (or mediavst.x64.dll in 64-bit OpenMPT) as a plugin into OpenMPT, load a video and it will stay synchronized. The only issue I noticed is that the video was playing too fast when using "Host audio" mode, but this can be changed to "none" by right-clicking the video player (Edit: Enabling "Force Stereo Output" and then reloading the video seems to fix this problem).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)

Oh, interesting, I'll check this out.

By the way, my mistake : I had just had forgotten to re-insert 64 bits version of Kontakt in the new 64 bits version of OpenMPT, so I was using the 32 bits Kontakt version in 64 bits version of OpenMPT !

With the 64 bits Kontakt version, no more machine gun ! Thanks again ;-)

Saga Musix

If you find mediavst to work well enough for you, I guess I can close this ancient feature request of yours. And if it isn't, I can still close it and recommend you to contact the author (polac) to improve it. :) With plugins like this, I really don't see why OpenMPT would need its own implementation for this feature.

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)

I'll try to check it back, currently I use Loopbe to link to a midi synch sampler/video player...Of course you can close the other subject...