(Oftopic) Mind helping me with an computer based big problem?

Started by FreezeFlame(Alchemy), April 24, 2014, 17:03:23

Previous topic - Next topic

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

Ever heard or read about an program that multiplys its processes like crazy, without having the option to delete them?

The name of this (Stupid *****) program is umdmgr.exe .
In the Panel with the processes, it multiplies from 64 to 128+ while its booted. Its just plain crazy!
Tried to remove it the old fashioned was (by trying to delete it permamently), and nothing else then an message that its impossible to delete it.

And the worst of all things:
It came with the PC. No extra downloads.

Mind that its on an different PC (the one i mentioned above), not the one im using to post and stuff.

Oftopic, i know. But its truly an sh**** situation.
Blue Flames of the Night.

Was known as Alchemy before(with an Dialga picture).

LPChip

A simple google search woth "umdmgr.exe" shows me that this is a virus/spyware. Try running Malware bytes or hitman pro.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

If it's new anyway, go and format the whole hard drive and install a clean operating system without any OEM bullshit, no matter if this is a virus or not. It probably didn't come with the computer but you might have been missing updates while downloading stuff when setting it up.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

QuoteA simple google search woth "umdmgr.exe" shows me that this is a virus/spyware. Try running Malware bytes or hitman pro.
Before i made this topic, i inded searched for the specifications of that exe file to.
Most results didn't explained how i could get rid of it. Nothing did. And i do tried a handful of Antivirus software. Got stuck most of the time or ended up not installing.

QuoteIf it's new anyway, go and format the whole hard drive and install a clean operating system without any OEM bullshit, no matter if this is a virus or not. It probably didn't come with the computer but you might have been missing updates while downloading stuff when setting it up.
Can be the case, indeed.

jmkz

Quote from: Saga Musix on April 24, 2014, 17:22:37
If it's new anyway, go and format the whole hard drive and install a clean operating system without any OEM bullshit, no matter if this is a virus or not. It probably didn't come with the computer but you might have been missing updates while downloading stuff when setting it up.

I agree with Saga too. But if you want to avoid format and reinstall, the hard way is check the process file references as files and as Windows' registry keys, then delete them.

Voltrom

I would go with Saga`s tip, nothing better than a fresh system.

I have somewhere lying around one of the best Rescue-disks, with OTL oboard. and some other stuff, can`t find it now if you really want to repair it i will go on a search and give you the download link.

Although, it`s not very easy to use, you have to do a scan with OTL first, go find the Wormy Trojan shit, and delete it manually.

I did it once on a freinds PC, regarding to the BKA-Trojaner, works pretty good.

Other than that there are plenty of rescue cd`s floating around on the net, just try it out.

I would recommend going for Linux anyways, or BSD, nothing safer than that, i have a dual-boot system for about two years now and i never ever had a trojan or something like that, maybe i had but i wouldn`t know haha, it would not bother me on a Linux system anyway.

Diamond

And when you finally manage to get rid of it, create an image of your system.  Images are probably the best way to recover from almost anything without having to reinstall your operating system and all of your applications.  You might also want to partition your drive.  Install your OS and applications on the smaller partition and store all of your data on the larger one.  Or even better, use a smaller drive for your OS/applications and then store your data on a separate larger drive altogether.  Storage is cheap these days.  Even after creating an image, you should make regular backups of important files.  Also, many applications will allow you to control where they save their settings.  Configure as many applications as possible to save their settings on the data drive/partition.  This way if all else fails and you wind up having to reinstall the OS or even restore from an image, you will increase the odds of at least having your most recent settings backed up.  LOL this rant comes from experience gained the hard way.

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

So far, i am trying to install Linux Mint.
My plan is for now to use an USB for the booting of Linux Mint, and then after the OS is installed, format the whole SSD drive so that this headache making trojan dissapears for good.

Thanks you all who posted helpful advice :). Wish this trojan worm wasn't included with the PC, but what can one expect at times.