Tempo and pitch changes in 1.23?

Started by DavidN, April 06, 2014, 22:48:05

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidN

Wow, my account still works! First, thanks to everyone who's contributed to Modplug over the years - I've been a user for a long time and it's been fantastic to see so many updates.

I downloaded 1.23 today and found that my song files (.IT) played back very differently in it compared to 1.22.06 - the pitch of the instruments is raised about a tone, and playback speed is significantly faster (about 20bpm at a guess). This happens in both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions. Were there any changes to how tempo/pitch is interpreted in 1.23 that might be causing this?

Here's an example file: http://teamouse.net/music/ps-1-father.it . Skip to where the song gets going and (hopefully) the different should be obvious...

Saga Musix

That sounds very much like a 44 KHz vs 48 KHz driver problem - it might be locked to either of the two frequencies and OpenMPT is attempting to use the other frequency. Depending on the driver used, this can be a problem (e.g. WASAPI is always locked to one specific, system-configured frequency). Try switching between 44 and 48 KHz, or use a different driver, or change the default playback frequency in the system's sound options.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

DavidN

Thanks for all the advice - great knowledge of the system :) I had a poke around, and... one of those things worked, at some point, but I'm not sure which one it was!

Saga Musix

Yeah, I have the feeling sometimes a wrong setting can be "stuck" because another application is also playing audio. For example, one likely situation is that another program uses WASAPI at 48 KHz and you're trying to play something using WaveOut at  44 KHz. I think that's one of those situations where the playback would sound wrong, but I'm not entirely sure.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

dj t

merci pour vos reponses. je vais essayer.ca ne m'est jamais arrivé. big thanks

Saga Musix

I noticed that this is apparently a problem with all new OpenMPT installations and not really a driver problem, so this has been fixed in OpenMPT 1.23.02.00. All you really needed to do was to go to the soundcard dialog and hit "OK" once to fix this.