Main Menu

Vst.

Started by sso, March 09, 2014, 19:38:36

Previous topic - Next topic

sso

So, are you guys ever gonna up the limit on vst?

100 seems bit sparse.

And how about making it so that mpt turns off any vst currently not in use to save cpu? (actually more the limit imposed by 32bit on mpt)
Seems some daw does that.

Saga Musix

Quote from: sso on March 09, 2014, 19:38:36
100 seems bit sparse.
So how many do you actually use? If you are getting close to 100, you might be doing something wrong anyway - I don't believe you'll have more than 50 instrument plugins among those, so the rest would have to be effects, and that amount of effect plugins can only go wrong in my experience.

Quote from: sso on March 09, 2014, 19:38:36And how about making it so that mpt turns off any vst currently not in use to save cpu?
I have experimented with this but I couldn't find a single plugin that would allow this - there's a special flag that should be set when "no input = no output" (which is what you mean), but none of the plugins I tried actually set this flag, so I couldn't even test my code! I'm quite sure many plugins will turn themselves off if there's only silence to process, though.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

sso

How would it go wrong if i had too many vst´s?

Havent noticed that. It stutters if i have too many large cpu hogs going on, but ive been at 100 and fine and found myself needing more vst´s.

150 would be cool.

ndelay33

more than 100 is nice.
it will go wrong if you'll use 100 giant plugins like izotope ozone. lol
and it wont go wrong if you use them with knowing what you are doing

like i am using old free and small vst plugins that work very well, but you need to make smart chains
and quit sometime i need more free slots

i posted this link already... http://www.vstforx.de/   there is a nice vst that lets you load other vst's and connect(synchronise) parametres beetween independent vst inside this vst. dosnt work with openmpt's automation, but for live performance and for keeping 20 vst's inside 1 vst its very very ok.

respect :)

Saga Musix

Quote from: sso on March 10, 2014, 04:38:43
How would it go wrong if i had too many vst´s?
The more you add, the easier it is to destroy the whole sound and turn everything into one big piece of mud. How do you actually get to use so many plugins? Let's say you have 30 instrument plugins (which would seem like a high amount to me even if you're not using any samples). That still leaves you 70 slots for plugins, i.e. 3 effects on average per instrument. Considering that not every instrument needs post-processing plugins, that means that the individual number of post-proc plugins per instrument would be even higher. For what would you need that many plugins?
All the CPU hogging is another good reason to bake plugins into samples.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Saga Musix

Alright, I will up the limit to 250 for the next to release - which is close to the theoretical maximum limit (which is either 254 or 255, I haven't thought much about it). Let's see what is going to break gloriously...

sso

Thank you saga.

Dunno, i like to make chains for everything. Layers and shit.

The only problem i have with it, is that im only using 10% of my cpu, even with 100 vst´s.

still stutters, im really looking forward to the 64bit version of mpt.

Again, thanks a bunch man, i really appreciate it.  (though i wont be needing quite that many till maybe the 64bit version. extra 50 would be great.)

Saga Musix

The 64-bit version won't change anything about the CPU load. You probably just have a lot of cores that have nothing today (because OpenMPT's renderer is single-threaded). That won't change until OpenMPT employs multi-threaded rendering, which is not going to happen anytime soon.

sso

Wont the puter struggle harder with 64bit plugins if mpt only handles one core?

Saga Musix

The bitness of a program has absolutely nothing to do with CPU consumption. If anything, you will usually experience a slight speed-up when using native x64 code on x64 compared to using x86 code.

sso

Oh well, thats sweet.

Great work on everything btw, im like a kid in a candy land lately.