Author Topic: A question about instruments  (Read 2678 times)

Offline vince94

• Active artist
  • Operating System: Windows 10
A question about instruments
« on: January 23, 2014, 03:32:23 »
Whenever I work with samples, and am typing in notes from the keyboard or from a MIDI device, the program always stops playing the sample when I lift my finger off of the key. Why doesn't this happen when I'm using Instruments? It just keeps playing the note, and is only stopped by waiting for a very long time, or by hitting the escape key. This causes quite a note pileup if you're trying to hit the right note by ear.
Am I forgetting something in the Instruments tab? Other than this, my experience with OpemMPT has been fantastic!

Offline Saga Musix

• OpenMPT Developers
  • aka Jojo
    • Download music, samples, VST plugins: Saga Musix Website
  • Operating System: Windows 10 x64
Re: A question about instruments
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 08:35:55 »
In sample mode, the only possible "note off" action is to stop the sample. However, with instruments you have fade-out and release envelopes, and these get applied when entering instruments. I admit that the default behaviour when there is no volume envelope can be a bit annoying since the default fade-out (256) is relatively slow, so I'll see if anything can be done about that.
At the moment, one solution would be to add a proper volume envelope as you'd probably want to do it with instruments anyway.
ยป No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.