HDYOI: Sample to Instrument translation

Started by I-S3-O, October 17, 2013, 10:08:19

Previous topic - Next topic

I-S3-O

So, I was looking through some of the instruments you guys have built into the tracker, and I noticed that the Electric Snare (Standard) (which actually sounds like an acoustic snare: mislabeled?) has questionable translation between the sample and the instrument settings. What I mean is, when you play the corresponding sample, it sounds like a wood block hit, but when you play the instrument for it, it sounds like a snare hit.

My question is: what radio button, slider, or check box made that sound change so drastically, and how do I do it?

For better reference, it's under MIDI library→ Percussions→E3 Electric Snare: GM.DLS

Saga Musix

First off, OpenMPT does not ship with any samples. GM.DLS is the default MIDI library that comes with your operating systems and you can replace any of the sounds with others.
The difference in pitch is caused by the sample map, to be more precise it's the note to note translation. Drum samples are tuned in a way so that their key remains "compatible" with the Genera MIDI key mapping when using a format without note to note mapping (such as XM), in other formats like IT all notes are mapped to the corresponding MIDI note.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.