Talking Bass (Or Yoi)

Started by Ansollis, September 30, 2013, 04:53:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Ansollis

Okay, so I have been trying to figure out how to do some gritty "talking bass" for a part in a small song I am making. Unfortunately, I have been running into problems extrapolating the lessons from programs like FL studios or Ableton Live and the plugins they use. So my question is: does anyone know of any tutorials that could help explain how to make gritty, wobbly, talking bass for OpenMPT? I really want to show my FL Studios friend that I can make it, but I just can't. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Saga Musix

To help you, it would be helpful to know which part you are struggling with. Most things should work just identically since everyone is using Massive or similar plugins for their wobbles anyway, the only part that's going to be different would be automation, but that can be emulated using instrument envelopes.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Ansollis

Well, I know Massive is expensive and I am trying to do this on a free budget. The problem I am having is that I can't seem to make any grit on the sample bass I have. I heard from my FL Studios friend that the "yoi" comes mostly from volume fluctuation. I am trying to use Polyiblit, but it is too advanced for me so I need something else right now. Any video or step by step tutorials would help, or any knowledge of simpler, more intuitive plugins (if there are any). Sorry for my ignorance. :-\

Mr.Eagle

Well, first of all I have to say that this "wobble-bass-dubstep-stuff" is not really my kind of music, so I don't know much about it.

But I've found a (free) vst(i)-plugin that could possibly help you:
http://ohdeo.com/2009/08/11/redizer1-free-dubstep-bass-glitchy-super-synth/

And here is a little video about this plugin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0crdOaQb8Y

I hope, that helps you.... ;)
sorry for my bad English

Saga Musix

It's less about the DAW than the sound sources you use. Since I'm not into wobbles, I can't give you any free recommendations, but try the tools Eagle suggested. And if that doesn't help, well, invite your friends to a competition where they should try creating some wobbles with the same free plugins you have at hand instead of their expensive, probably warezed toys.
I'm sure there are also tutorials out there that don't make use of any specific synths but explain the concept in a more general way. Good luck finding those.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Rakib

Wobbles is made of oscillators. Use them in your synth.
^^

Ansollis

I know that I need to use oscillators, but I don't know what options to use. Although I did check out that redizer VSTi, and it seems much simpler for me. I will try to use it and experiment for now, thanks Mr. Eagle.

sso

http://www.youtube.com/user/SeamlessR?feature=watch

this guy makes all sorts of bass tutorials.

he usually uses sytrus, but has a fm8 tutorial about wobble bass, that was pretty simple and straightforward.

you could possibly use that information in whatever fm vst you will settle on,

but you might also just search for instruction manuals on whatever vst you will end up using.

there are probably 100+ tutorials on wobble basses on youtube. (might search for "how to make skrillex bass.")