OpenMPT for Windows 8 RT

Started by bjarne, September 10, 2013, 07:36:17

Previous topic - Next topic

bjarne

Microsoft is selling the Surface RT for cheap. Nokia is about to take over the tablets from them and release updated tablets with Windows 8.1, new processors, etc. The problem is that any x86 software won't run on the ARM processors that come in the cheaper Surface RT. These tablets come with full versions of the Windows Office as well as student discounts, meaning students will be buying them more for Word on the go and cheap price, expanding the user base. For this reason I am considering purchasing one.

I have found recently these threads on XDAdevelopers by accident in Google:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2092348
"Desktop apps ported to Windows RT" (with requests)

and

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2420646
"App requests" (for Windows RT)

It seems these devs are interested to add more applications to the list and requests can be posted. I don't have an account because I am not a dev, nor could I pass the 10 helpful posts minimum for being able to post in a development forum (their rules). If anyone has an account there to maybe post the Sourceforge page of OpenMPT and request a port? Or maybe someone knowledgeable in these matters could consider working with others here or over there on that forum to port it over? I am not sure how difficult it is but it seems this is gaining momentum and people are willing to help.

It would be great to have OpenMPT on a light and simple tablet with the type-pad/keyboard made for it. You could really track anywhere on that battery. I'd love to go to the park and make tracks and not have to carry a 3kg notebook with 45 minute battery with me. Is anyone else interested?

(P.S. I know there's a x86 emulator available, but the compatability and features are quite limited)

LPChip

Why on earth would anyone want to get a windows 8 machine?

Here at work any machine that is preinstalled with windows 8, we downgrade it to windows 7. Like vista, windows 8 is a big miss from Microsoft, and now they use all kinds of marketing techniques to still sell it. If weight and battery is an issue, there are laptops that aren't heavy with a decent battery lifespan too that DO run windows 7.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

I don't think it would be a simple task to create an RT-compatible version of OpenMPT, and porting it would certainly a bigger task than anyone would willing to accept to make for free for an application they don't even use. If you are so much into tablets, you could still get a Surface Pro with all the benefits the x86 version of Windows 8 brings over Windows 8 RT.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Saga Musix

By the way, here's another reason why it's unlikely that there will be a lot of music software on WinRT.
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsapps/en-US/72f78574-02c3-4986-8d5f-623b31c89765/midi-devices

No support for MIDI devices on metro and WinRT. Yet another chanced missed by Microsoft.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.