4pat1

Started by Atlantis, August 04, 2013, 13:06:56

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

Heeeeeeeey PPH!!!!

Seems like a reunion. :D
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

speed-focus

Hello peoples!

10 years? Yikes. How come I never see you guys on ICQ anymore?  ;)

Quote from: Atlantis on August 09, 2013, 20:49:10
I've been trying to contact ganja since it's been a while since we've seen him.
Hello! Is it me you're looking for?
Quote from: georg on August 12, 2013, 20:55:49
Now you, speed-focus.
You spin me right round, georg, right round! Like a record!

LPChip

ICQ? whats that? :P

Nah, I left ICQ behind due to the constant spamming that happened. I use msn, jabber and IRC nowadays.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Off-topic...
Quote from: LPChip on August 18, 2013, 17:34:13
Nah, I left ICQ behind due to the constant spamming that happened. I use msn, jabber and IRC nowadays.
There's a nice plugin for Miranda (Spam-o-tron) which gets rid of those spam bots - however, according to my logs, there haven't been any spam bot authorization requests for about a year now on my profile.

BTW, speed-focus, anything wrong with your old account? (there's a forgot password function, hint hint)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Ah cool. Installed ICQ again. Ganja, I don't seem to have you on my contact list. My ICQ id: 43823709

PPH

A reunion, indeed. I spent some years not making much music. I'm trying to catch up. I would come here from time to time, but not much. These days I decided to take a look at the forums, and found Atlantis' post. It's great to see that many of the old friends are around. :D
============
PPH
-Melody Enthusiast
============

georg

Quote from: speed-focus on August 18, 2013, 16:28:02
You spin me right round, georg, right round! Like a record!
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
I'll never make sword-chucks...
Update - 2013 I still havent made sword-chuks.
Update - 2021 What the hell are sword-chuks? :((

Atlantis

Quote from: Saga Musix on August 10, 2013, 12:25:31
Since the whole concept is based around a number of patterns, why not provide the original module file instead of a WAV (and why not FLAC)?
Well the problem with the IT is that each adopted their own style and way of working so the balance tended to be off between tracks. I do still have the IT but I had to render/balance it a lot to get the mixdown right. I don't mind uploading the mixdown which is a 12.2 MB IT, but it possibly won't sound right, since for one it doesn't have the post-production files but also everyone adopted a different mixing style, as I said.
Put an end to the loudness war. Don't limit or compress your mixdown until mastering; leave the master channel alone.

http://www.facebook.com/atlanteanrecords

Atlantis

Quote from: Saga Musix on August 13, 2013, 00:29:32
I intended to bring back some of the old modplug central downloads on a slightly more interactive website, but there are simply too many risks involved with providing hosting space for music... and let's face it, everyone is using SoundCloud/Bandcamp these days anyways, and people are too lazy even to upload their music to The Mod Archive. But if you have any old stuff from that period, I'd definitely be interested in restoring it in some way or another.
What I hate most about SoundCloud is that it's still scumbag 128 kbps after all these years. Even people making their tracks available for download provide MP3s and it really pisses me off (aside from the few who provide WAV downloads). On the other hand, I love Bandcamp, I think it's the best thing since iTunes (which is the worst thing since Internet music). obScene/Brandon Goins started a Google Drive the other day where he plans (or at least has made a significant start) to upload past CTG tracks. I think this is quite a good incentive, and I was going to add my collection as well, but I mainly listen to FLAC nowadays (I have 40,000/1 TB and growing). The link is http://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B8sXXHC0XTNjYkRnRFZDcm9yeG8&usp=sharing, but you may need to contact him to upload since I couldn't upload anything myself.
Put an end to the loudness war. Don't limit or compress your mixdown until mastering; leave the master channel alone.

Saga Musix

Quote from: Atlantis on August 20, 2013, 04:06:27
Well the problem with the IT is that each adopted their own style and way of working so the balance tended to be off between tracks. I do still have the IT but I had to render/balance it a lot to get the mixdown right. I don't mind uploading the mixdown which is a 12.2 MB IT, but it possibly won't sound right, since for one it doesn't have the post-production files but also everyone adopted a different mixing style, as I said.
You know, I prefer a module over (or in addition to) the postprocessed file any time. But yeah, it has already been posted, so it's no longer relevant.

And yeah, I don't really like SoundCloud either, but it seems to be what all the hip people use these days. And BandCamp is definitely the best thing that has ever happened to the music selling business.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

georg

iTunes the store or?

Not to start nothing but i have still not seen any music library app that can come close in terms of design clarity and function. Even though it changes too damn much (doesnt everything nowadays), it's still my mp3 player of choice. Yeah i know it comes with a bunch of apple crap i dont care about but a) occasionally someone with a mac or iphone waddles in the room and can hook up and b) i mostly want to have my shizz neatly sorted. I tried a lot of other stuff and it's either by far inferior or slightly inferior. Hating Apple is both free and en vogue so go ahead.
Winamp lite is fine too but meh.
And iTunes store... i dont care for it at all, i just sort and play music.

Bandcamp looks very nice. All i can say :D

The .it It was good enough to create the 4pat1 mod, so it should be good enough to play the rough unmixed version. I prefer it actually, but i have no sense.

bits.... ask my arse. I listen on shit speakers and it sounds fine. Told you i have no sense. ;)

Hello PPH, long time. :)

Atlantis

Quote from: Saga Musix on August 10, 2013, 12:25:31
Since the whole concept is based around a number of patterns, why not provide the original module file instead of a WAV (and why not FLAC)?
I fully agree, FLAC is far superior, but a lot of people look the other way when it comes to FLAC. I will make it a note to upload WAV files in FLAC next time, especially on a technology-literate forum as this. I know georg already provided a link but here is my latest (modified 9/08/2003 11:11 p.m.). I actually went and split the IT file up into two parts for the final mixdown since it required a lot of editing/balancing, but that would just get confusing for me to upload those. I also still have the ACD file (Sony Acid), which I used to mix the project down with Waves effects but I don't even use that anymore and don't really see the point of uploading that. Besides, it's the end result that matters, not really what effects were applied where, though I can understand people may want to look at the source file.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69044219/MODPlug%20Artists%20-%204pat1%20%28IT%29.rar

Atlantis

I'm actually a Winamp user, love it to bits, ever since they added their media library I've used http://www.albumartexchange.com/ to keep track of my album art. As I said I have 40,000/1 TB FLACS and growing. I was doing mastering for artists for a while but after switching meds (tranylcypromine) five months ago anxiety got the better of me. I've since started a benzodiazepine (diazepam) and things look to be improving. My Last.fm is http://www.last.fm/user/atlanteanrecord if anyone wishes to keep in touch that way. Anyway, it's great to see you again PPH, georg, speed-focus! I don't use ICQ but am on MSN. Have been thinking about you and the past a lot! Add me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/atlanteanrecords if you have it.

PPH

Quote from: georg on August 21, 2013, 00:00:45
iTunes the store or?

Not to start nothing but i have still not seen any music library app that can come close in terms of design clarity and function. Even though it changes too damn much (doesnt everything nowadays), it's still my mp3 player of choice. Yeah i know it comes with a bunch of apple crap i dont care about but a) occasionally someone with a mac or iphone waddles in the room and can hook up and b) i mostly want to have my shizz neatly sorted. I tried a lot of other stuff and it's either by far inferior or slightly inferior. Hating Apple is both free and en vogue so go ahead.
Winamp lite is fine too but meh.
And iTunes store... i dont care for it at all, i just sort and play music.

Bandcamp looks very nice. All i can say :D

The .it It was good enough to create the 4pat1 mod, so it should be good enough to play the rough unmixed version. I prefer it actually, but i have no sense.

bits.... ask my arse. I listen on shit speakers and it sounds fine. Told you i have no sense. ;)

Hello PPH, long time. :)

Hi, georg! The other day I stumbled upon some mail messages we exchanged. It was when you organized the Mimick Music Compo. Remember that? (I was looking for the source file of my entry).
============
PPH
-Melody Enthusiast
============

georg

I don't have it on my hard drive unfortunately but it may be on some backup DVD. I'll look for it.

Good god the Mimic Compo :D I know i kept the Sabotage stuff somewhere for a long time so Mimic materail may be in the same place. Unfortunately it would more likely be filed under "website bollocks" and not "tracker stuff - do not forget to backup".

EDIT - Well i found one DVD with things related to my old website, but no mention of Mimic only a short news item regarding a competition being cooked up by PPH. Wonder what that's about.
Most is old pages and compo results mixed with a lot of useless files. I don't know if that backup somehow predates Mimic or what.. The only compo related files are about Sabotage and April Fools Compo. I do have your excellent Arrival as mp3 but don't seem to have a trackfile of it. I dont remember if i had it or not.
As for the Sabotage compo, i'd like to thank Xaimus for talking me into letting him host the results table page which is now lost :D
Rewbs won it pretty convincingly it seems, and wins again by still having the original file uploaded and original link still alive after all these years. Holy expletive!

Back to the search though.
There are a few .it files in that bunch, but i seriously doubt any belongs to you. I will list them anyway:
telephone.it
chiptune.it
analog.it
some WIP chunk of 4pat2
(and offtrack.ogg by ganja for some reason)

Do you know the filename or some detail? I will continue to look for the file, but it may be lost afterall. I have moved and changed computers since then and not everything was preserved.

EDIT 2
Is anything here? Your Sabotage and AFC entries are :D
http://www.scene.org/search.php?search=pph&x=0&y=0