How to Set Cutoff and Note Cut/Delay Simultaneously

Started by AmericanDiamond, July 27, 2013, 21:30:50

Previous topic - Next topic

AmericanDiamond

I still appreciate all of the help I've gotten in the past with helping me make music in OpenMPT (rear sound help, VST, etc.). Although I no longer work solely in the tracker and use REAPER for sound editing, I continue to find OpenMPT indispensible as the easiest primary music editor.

I have tried to work around this issue for years, but now I have broken down to ask about having more than one tracker-based effect operating on the same instrument at the same time. Particularly, I have a SCx/SDx on the same row, and I need to set the cutoff immediately for that instrument. I use the Zxx macro for cutoff and find that I cannot activate the macro on the same line that I activate the note delay or note cutoff. I have been putting the Zxx on the following row, which is currently causing a moderate but still noticeable and unpleasant click in the instrument sound when the cutoff activates.

I do need both effects, so can anyone explain how I can either have both on the same row or use an alternative method to use both effects simultaneously? This may also be a way to combine any two (or more) tracker effects also.

Saga Musix

Option 1: Set the instrument's default cutoff value. You may want to create an instrument of your instrument if you don't want all notes to use this default cutoff value.
Option 2: Temporarily use a lower ticks/row value (classic tempo mode) or higher tempo (classic and modern mode) to have more detail available, so that you don't have to resort to SDx effects.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

AmericanDiamond

Quote from: Saga Musix on July 27, 2013, 21:38:34
Option 1: Set the instrument's default cutoff value. You may want to create an instrument of your instrument if you don't want all notes to use this default cutoff value.
Option 2: Temporarily use a lower ticks/row value (classic tempo mode) or higher tempo (classic and modern mode) to have more detail available, so that you don't have to resort to SDx effects.

Thank you for your prompt response. I would have gotten back to you earlier, but work on my music consumed my whole day, as it has for the past week. I was actually busy doing what you said, specifically taking option 1.

Had I chosen option 2, I would have been growing 60+ patterns to twice their size and increasing the modern tempo from 245 to 490 (because of the spacing of the notes and the file's adaptation from an originally "classic" tempo setup), which would most likely not have fixed the problem completely but would have minimized it at best. I ended up doing option 1 and creating several instances of the instrument, tediously replacing certain notes for the total duration of the compo.

Although I wish there were a more elegant workaround or even a fix/upgrade to expand the number of built-in tracker effects active in a channel, I got a solution in the same day, which is amazing. Thank you so much for your help.

Saga Musix

Well, multiple effect columns surely would be nice to have, but they also bring many problems and challenges with them (what to do if the same effect or contradictory effects are placed in the same cell?), and of course a huge rewrite in the whole code...
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

AmericanDiamond

As great as OpenMPT is now, that sounds like a highly formidable task, especially with my barely proficient programming knowledge.

I will be uploading the music I have been working on since using OpenMPT (2003 to present!), including the compo I ran into this topic's effect column situation with, on this site. Thanks again.