.42 Confusion over record state

Started by Squirrel Havoc, April 15, 2006, 09:52:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Squirrel Havoc

Maybe this is some kind of new feature I didn't understand. Anyway:

On a song, I select some data from a column, right click and go to "Copy". Then put the cursor in another column and right click and hit "Paste", but nothing happens. So I Shift+Ins to paste it, nothing happens, so I Ctrl+V to paste and still nothing happens.

I tried it on a few songs, but it was the same. Mix paste or hitting Space doesn't do anything either.

Is this a bug?
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

Relabsoluness

Are you sure that 'record' was enabled?  :)

fisk0

Quote from: "Squirrel Havoc"I tried it on a few songs, but it was the same. Mix paste or hitting Space doesn't do anything either.

Is this a bug?

To me, it seems like the default key for enabling/disabling Record has been changed from Space to something else.
That's why Space doesn't do anything (and possibly why you can't do anything). :)

Squirrel Havoc

You know, it seems to me that if a setting is keeping you from doing something, there should be a warning (maybe in the status bar) that lets you know why you can't do it. Record was disabled, I was about to report that drag & drop didnt work either, but enabling record fixed that too.

Thanks guys
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "Squirrel Havoc"You know, it seems to me that if a setting is keeping you from doing something, there should be a warning (maybe in the status bar) that lets you know why you can't do it.
I agree. For example when I tested Renoise I had a problem that I couldn't enter notes - only after battling with it way too long, I noticed that record was off(hopefully anyone testing ompt won't have the same problem  :) ). And even though I now know what is likely the cause if for example paste doesn't work, I occasionally have those short moments of wonderment: "Hey, why didn't anything happen?"

fisk0

I think Record should be enabled by default.
If you create a new song you'll probably want to enter some notes into it.
There can't be many people that prefer creating new projects just to watch empty patterns?

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "fisk0"I think Record should be enabled by default.
There can't be many people that prefer creating new projects just to watch empty patterns?

I think it was until someone requested the state to be saved.

fisk0

Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"I think it was until someone requested the state to be saved.

Strange, I always set Record to enabled, but still it is always disabled when i start the program again later.

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "fisk0"
Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"I think it was until someone requested the state to be saved.

Strange, I always set Record to enabled, but still it is always disabled when i start the program again later.

Then I guess I was wrong! :)

EDIT: That feature was supposedly introduced with build 1.17.02.41, but  I'm unable o check whether it's working or not right now. On earlier builds the default state is record=on.

LPChip

There doesn't seem to be a bug with copy or pasting, so I'm closing it as being a bug. Perhaps we can change it to another bug or so. Rewbs, I leave that to you.

Closing this one unless Rewbs or anyone else things it should be otherwise. (you can still post)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Diamond

Rewbs, maybe you should just make it an option in the general preferences whether to have record enabled or disabled by default instead of having the state saved in the INI file.  This should satisfy everyone and is more flexible.

rewbs

Quote from: "fisk0"To me, it seems like the default key for enabling/disabling Record has been changed from Space to something else.
That's why Space doesn't do anything (and possibly why you can't do anything). :)
Check your key config. It's under pattern editor general, and is erroneously called Enable Recording (should be toggle recording).

rewbs

Quote from: "fisk0"

Check your ini file...
. If you have Record=1 under [Pattern Editor] and the first loaded/opened song still has record off by default, or
. If you enable recording, close OpenMPT, and you still don't have Record=1 in your ini file
then there's a bug.

It works over here though.

rewbs

Quote from: "fisk0"I think Record should be enabled by default.
If no value is found for the record status in the ini file, it will default to enabled. First time users should have recording enabled.

rewbs

Quote from: "Diamond"Rewbs, maybe you should just make it an option in the general preferences whether to have record enabled or disabled by default instead of having the state saved in the INI file.  This should satisfy everyone and is more flexible.
General settings are saved to the INI file too.

Currently, when you create/load a song, the record status for that song will be the last one you set. This seems pretty sensible and intuitive to me (and mimics the behaviour of the channel VU meters presented in the same toolbar), but apparently it's causing confusion (or maybe it's broken and somehow it's only working properly for me). If you all feel it would be more intuitive if a fixed record status (configurable in the general settings) was used for new and loaded songs, rather than remembering the last status you set, I can do that...