Main Menu

Themes?

Started by Voltrom, January 29, 2013, 19:59:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Voltrom

Is there any chance that OpenMpt will be themeable some day?

I still work with Madtracker most of the time, but it is growing old now and it lacks of compatibilty. (newer Vst`s, Bugs, etc...)

Still i love the gui.

It would be cool if OpenMpt could be themeable in maybe Fasttracker II look or Protrekkr(Noisetracker).

Any chances?

elPatrixF

You can already change the color scheme of the editor at the Colours tab in the Setup menu.

The window colors depend on the windows theme you're using at the moment :P

Other than that, a themeable openmpt would be a nice idea!
Check out https://soundcloud.com/elpatrixf/ or http://www.youtube.com/elpatrixf for more music!
Thanks for listening!

Saga Musix

No offense, but I still don't get it why people want to change the specific look of single programs instead of just changing the overall system look. Apart from that, when/if the GUI code is ported to Qt, themes could be realised through Qt's own theming capabilities (although I'm not sure how exactly that works).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Harbinger

Yeah, i've been wishing for skinnable/themed appearance customization for years. But after nudging by Jojo (sagaMusix), i looked at the code and fully understand why it hasn't been attempted. The data structures esp. in the GUI aspect are so tightly woven that it's nearly impossible to weave anything else into them without dismantling the whole tapestry. I'm sure Jojo would love to offer this kind of customization, and it IS in the long-term plans i bet, but until a major overhaul is done, we should consider ourselves lucky that he and others have given us what customization we do have.  8)

For now, like he said, work with your system schemes, and adjust the colorization schemes for MPT to the best of your liking. And keep supporting Jojo -- one day he wants to transfer/rewrite the code into Qt, when he can devote the time and attention, and maybe get some help, poor chap!  :-[

:D

Saga Musix

It's not really that the code is too "tightly woven" to add skinning or anything like that, it just means that a lot of extra code would need to be written on top of the existing code, because MFC doesn't come with any theming capabilities - and subclassing standard Windows controls for theming is a pain in the arse. That's some extra code I am not willing to write, because it has no use for me.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.