Is there a way to change the default "new" settings? Also within a song,

Started by carbonthief, January 09, 2013, 08:04:55

Previous topic - Next topic

carbonthief

to change the default pattern length for a new pattern?  What I mean in more detail:

Right now if I open Open MPT and click the new button, I get an IT project.  (Coincidentally, I find if I specifically create a new something else, clicking the new button after that creates a new of that kind.  But closing and reopening causes default back to IT.)  Say I wanted to make the default an Open MPT module with certain song properties such as Modern tempo, and a different rows per beat and rows per measure.  Is there a way to do that?  Or maybe even if you can't change what clicking the new button does, can you change default settings for Open MPT modules?

And the second question is just simply within a particular project can you change the default new pattern length so you don't have to manually change the length every new pattern?

Not that it'd be a big deal if I can't do these things, but if you can I'd like to know how.

edit: I think I found partially what I was looking for.  http://wiki.openmpt.org/Manual:_Hidden_Settings

LPChip

You can also make a module, set all the settings you want, and then save it as a template. You can then create a new song based on that template which can have any setting preset.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

carbonthief

Oh sweet, there's a save as template option.  I was actually considering just making a blank song and going to save as and changing the title each time, but that's a bit better.

But no go on default pattern length then?

LPChip

Quote from: carbonthief on January 09, 2013, 08:57:59
Oh sweet, there's a save as template option.  I was actually considering just making a blank song and going to save as and changing the title each time, but that's a bit better.

But no go on default pattern length then?

You can change the pattern length in that module and save it as a template.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Indeed, just resize the first empty pattern of that module before saving it as a template. All newly inserted patterns have the same length as the currently active pattern, so all subsequent patterns would use the same size.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

carbonthief

I will have to see what I may have been doing wrong when I get home in a few hours, but yesterday I made the first pattern 128, and inserted a new pattern to see if it too would be 128, and it was 64.  If it makes a difference, I was inserting by rightclicking and going to create new pattern, not sure if there is another way to insert new patterns or not.

edit: ok figured it out, have to rightclick on an existing pattern.  If you rightclick on the blank space beside it it defaults back to 64.