is there a way to save a wav of a mod repeating?

Started by Zye1984, August 31, 2012, 06:02:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Zye1984

I just need to know if there is a way to make a song that is loopable in modplug player loop/repeat one or two times when saving it as a wav.  I checked the "enable song looping" box and set a song to repeat once, but it still doesn't save it that way.    would i need Tracker instead?  if there isn't a way to do this, why the heck not?

LPChip

OpenMPT is a tracker.

In OpenMPT you can export as wav, and in that dialog you can set it to export a certain length. This allows you to export a looped version of your song to a wave that loops more than one times.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

ModPlug Player has last been updated 10 years ago, is still closed source and thus unsupported. It uses the same code as ModPlug Tracker / OpenMPT for playback, so it won't loop a module on WAV export. A request has been made to have an option in OpenMPT to loop WAV export multiple times: http://bugs.openmpt.org/view.php?id=221
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Zye1984

Quote from: LPChip on August 31, 2012, 07:16:52
OpenMPT is a tracker.

In OpenMPT you can export as wav, and in that dialog you can set it to export a certain length. This allows you to export a looped version of your song to a wave that loops more than one times.

actually, that does the same thing ModPlug does; saves it without looping at all.  Plus, even if this method would work, it would cut off abruptly instead of having the ending of a song play.  (if a song that is able to loop but still has a definitive ending as well. at least, i think i've ran into that)

Zye1984

Quote from: Saga Musix on August 31, 2012, 15:17:20
ModPlug Player has last been updated 10 years ago, is still closed source and thus unsupported. It uses the same code as ModPlug Tracker / OpenMPT for playback, so it won't loop a module on WAV export. A request has been made to have an option in OpenMPT to loop WAV export multiple times: http://bugs.openmpt.org/view.php?id=221

ah.  why hasn't this been implemented yet? O-o  surely folks have wanted to save a wav or mp3 of a looping tune before.  It's not that big a deal for those that create the mods because they can just add more to it to their hearts content and save it that way, but the folks that are just listening don't really have that option unless they want to pick up a new hobby in digital music creation.  Maybe it was planned for Modplug Player but the development stopped, so it never was.   i suppose having that option in OpenMPT would  have been redundant for the most part for those who actually use i as intended.

LPChip

Quote from: Zye1984 on September 01, 2012, 03:05:25
Quote from: LPChip on August 31, 2012, 07:16:52
OpenMPT is a tracker.

You must be doing something wrong then, cus at my end, I can have a song that loops be exported to a wave file and have it played for example 5 times in a looped state until it stops at that point.

Alternatively, you could select all orders in OpenMPT, copy the orders, and paste it at the end a few times.

actually, that does the same thing ModPlug does; saves it without looping at all.  Plus, even if this method would work, it would cut off abruptly instead of having the ending of a song play.  (if a song that is able to loop but still has a definitive ending as well. at least, i think i've ran into that)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Zye1984

Quote from: LPChip on September 01, 2012, 08:27:40
You must be doing something wrong then, cus at my end, I can have a song that loops be exported to a wave file and have it played for example 5 times in a looped state until it stops at that point.

Alternatively, you could select all orders in OpenMPT, copy the orders, and paste it at the end a few times.

ok, how do i do what you did to make them loop like that, then?  i see no option for setting a song to repeat a certain number of times on the export wav menu, and otherwise i just see a "loop song" check box on the general tab, which is checked.  the "limit song length" option on the export wav menu doesn't do a thing for looping, as that's what i tried without any luck.  Please tell me what to do instead of telling me i'm doing something wrong.  :-[

Saga Musix

Quote from: Zye1984 on September 01, 2012, 03:17:55ah.  why hasn't this been implemented yet? O-o
Let's say because I (and the other developers) have (had) other priorities. If it's so important for you, why don't you implement it yourself? OpenMPT is an open-source program, everyone can make changes to it.

Quote from: Zye1984 on September 01, 2012, 03:17:55surely folks have wanted to save a wav or mp3 of a looping tune before.
I think you're the second person requesting this, so surely folks have not wanted it (or didn't know that they want it)!

Quote from: Zye1984 on September 01, 2012, 11:06:33
ok, how do i do what you did to make them loop like that, then?  i see no option for setting a song to repeat a certain number of times on the export wav menu, and otherwise i just see a "loop song" check box on the general tab, which is checked.  the "limit song length" option on the export wav menu doesn't do a thing for looping, as that's what i tried without any luck.  Please tell me what to do instead of telling me i'm doing something wrong.  :-[

I think this *was* possible years ago (LPChip often likes to talk about how he has done things a long time ago without checking if that's still valid :P), but currently OpenMPT will always cut playback after the first loop. As I've said, it is planned to add a "loop count" edit box in the WAV export window at some point which will solve this problem, but not right now.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Zye1984

Quote from: Saga Musix on September 01, 2012, 11:19:24
Let's say because I (and the other developers) have (had) other priorities. If it's so important for you, why don't you implement it yourself? OpenMPT is an open-source program, everyone can make changes to it.

I think you're the second person requesting this, so surely folks have not wanted it (or didn't know that they want it)!

I think this *was* possible years ago (LPChip often likes to talk about how he has done things a long time ago without checking if that's still valid :P), but currently OpenMPT will always cut playback after the first loop. As I've said, it is planned to add a "loop count" edit box in the WAV export window at some point which will solve this problem, but not right now.

because i'm not a programmer, nor do i know anything about OpenMPT or creating mods themselves.  I am merely a listener, and had only used ModPlug Player before it was suggested I try OpenMPT here, in this thread.  and while it's not actually "so important to me," i just wanted to do this so i could make a couple of short looping songs a friend liked out of my collection of mods a little longer for him.

I find that surprising that those that listened to mods never thought about this but once before.  I suppose not many care about making mods into mp3s so they don't have to use a separate program to listen to their songs.  Around the time Modplug Player was being used, mp3s were not around as far as i know/remember, so doing this wasn't all that practical to be implemented.  It's even less practical for OpenMPT since those that use/know how to use it can do whatever they want with the song, so i understand why it was /is low priority.

I'm sorry if what i said somehow offended you to bring about slight sarcasm.  = |  I tried to not be offensive as best i could while i was annoyed with trying to find out how to do this and other personal occurrences making me irritable, but i guess it still warranted sarcasm.  Of course, i could be misinterpreting, and if i am i apologize.

Edit by mod: Fixed quote

Saga Musix

QuoteI find that surprising that those that listened to mods never thought about this but once before.  I suppose not many care about making mods into mp3s so they don't have to use a separate program to listen to their songs.
If I had to convert all my modules to a streamed format like MP3, I'd have to buy a new hard drive pretty soon. There are way better solutions if you like listening to mods, e.g. XMPlay - a great media player which supports both your typical streamed formats (natively or via its own or Winamp plugins) and modules, with custom loop, fade-out and interpolation settings which can be configured for each file separately.

QuoteOf course, i could be misinterpreting
You probably are.

Saga Musix

also,
Quoteif a song that is able to loop but still has a definitive ending as well. at least, i think i've ran into that
How is that supposed to work? Either a song loops or it doesn't. The author may put a pattern that could be played after the loop somewhere, but how should the mod player know that this pattern is supposed to played after the loop? There's no such thing in the world of modules.

Zye1984

Quote from: Saga Musix on September 01, 2012, 12:25:41If I had to convert all my modules to a streamed format like MP3, I'd have to buy a new hard drive pretty soon. There are way better solutions if you like listening to mods, e.g. XMPlay - a great media player which supports both your typical streamed formats (natively or via its own or Winamp plugins) and modules, with custom loop, fade-out and interpolation settings which can be configured for each file separately.

I like XMPlay myself, but getting my friend to use another program is like...forcing a kid that doesn't like broccoli to eat it. x-x  he's extremely picky (for example, he liked 20 of the 227 mods i had, while the other 117  were "crap" >_<) and finds fault with anything he can  to avoid using something.  I can -try- to get him to try it though.

QuoteYou probably are.

sorry for that. = (

QuoteHow is that supposed to work? Either a song loops or it doesn't. The author may put a pattern that could be played after the loop somewhere, but how should the mod player know that this pattern is supposed to played after the loop? There's no such thing in the world of modules.

Ah, it's been quite a long time since i've actually used modplug player, so i wasn't sure if what i said was right or not.  I thought i had seen it before, but i think what i remember is the progress bar (probably not what it's called..) not going fully to the end of the song when i set it to repeat and when a song ends on a point that doesn't sound like it's ending in mid-tune when it runs out of repeat ques.

It's interesting that's not possible though.  It sounds like a new angle to look into, if people find it interesting enough. = )

LPChip

Quote from: Saga Musix on September 01, 2012, 11:19:24

I just tested the file I made to test this, and apparently, it was looping in my player, and thats why I didn't noticed it was just one recording. My bad...

Saga Musix

Quote from: Zye1984 on September 01, 2012, 13:34:43
I like XMPlay myself, but getting my friend to use another program is like...forcing a kid that doesn't like broccoli to eat it. x-x
You can still use XMPlay's WAV writer, though, to generate the files for him, for the time OpenMPT isn't able to do this.

QuoteI thought i had seen it before, but i think what i remember is the progress bar (probably not what it's called..) not going fully to the end of the song when i set it to repeat and when a song ends on a point that doesn't sound like it's ending in mid-tune when it runs out of repeat ques.
Yes, modules can contain multiple "sub tunes", however it's not defined how they should be treated. MPP doesn't deal with sub tunes, XMPlay on the other hand plays all sub tunes available. So actually if you set the fadeout value to 0 seconds, I think you can achieve what you mentioned earlier in XMPlay, however this is absolute undefined behaviour and as said, every player handles this in a different way.