Problem with .Midi Files- "Bending" incorrectly

Started by Kerma, August 23, 2012, 08:52:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerma

Hello,

In all honesty, I don't know much about midi files- But I love tinkering around with them. But I found a problem that occurred whenever I tried to play a midi file where the notes "bent" to different keys-
http://cl.ly/1a3L1Q1d2A3q
As you can see, it just sounds way off.

I'm really sorry if I'm being general. I don't know the correct term for this :-[ I have also tried other tracker programs and the same thing has happened. It plays fine in browser but when I go to edit this it's just sounding extremely incorrect. I don't even know if this is a problem with my soundfont or with my computer- my computer is relatively new (part of the problem?) and I'm using the default soundfont.

I really don't know if this is even the right place to ask this- but I don't know where I could ask otherwise. Could anyone please help me with this problem?
EDIT: http://midis.jamesbond-online.com/james-bond-theme.mid comparison to original

Saga Musix

If you search the forums a bit, you will quickly see that MIDI import is broken since forever and since it is just a bonus feature, I am not planning on improving it anytime soon. The manual lists several better softwares which can be used to convert MIDIs to modules - Though I still don't understand for what people would need an exact, balls-on reproduction of a MIDI file in their tracker.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

moltres_rider

Quote from: Saga Musix on August 23, 2012, 09:07:28
- Though I still don't understand for what people would need an exact, balls-on reproduction of a MIDI file in their tracker.

midi is good in a tracker for converting a midi instruemt into a wav file like a cat meow... plus I prefer the sound of midi in a lot of cases, sometimes I save midi instruments as .iti, and use them when editing other modules on various websites...

Saga Musix

Quote from: moltres_rider on August 24, 2012, 12:48:45
midi is good in a tracker for converting a midi instruemt into a wav file like a cat meow... plus I prefer the sound of midi in a lot of cases, sometimes I save midi instruments as .iti, and use them when editing other modules on various websites...
That's not what OpenMPT was made for and obviously it does not work as intended in OpenMPT. If you want to play MIDI files and exchange sounds, get a MIDI-based DAW (hint: virtuall all DAWs that aren't a tracker are MIDI-based) that can import MIDI file and use external sound sources or instrument plugins. You will get a lot more accurate results than a tracker like OpenMPT would ever achieve.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.