We have better technology than Jimi Hendrix

Started by Saga Musix, July 12, 2012, 13:12:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

Thus, everything made with trackers is better than music by Jimi Hendrix!

:))))))))
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Rakib

^^

psishock

hurray for technology! we have lmfao and srillex now, instead of having jimi hendrixes everywhere.

just look at the master at composing:
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Pizearke

Quote from: psishock on July 13, 2012, 00:39:02
hurray for technology! we have lmfao and srillex now, instead of having jimi hendrixes everywhere.

just look at the master at composing:
[img ]https://i.imgur.com/JgyHS.gif[/img] (removed the gif for redundancy's sake)

No, we still have Jimi Hendrices, they're just easier to ignore over EEEEAAAAAAAWWW WUBWUBWUBWUBWUWUWUWUWUWUWUWU NEEEEEEEEEEEERRRR WIGGGIWIGGIWIGGI WUB WUB WUB WUB EEEEeeeeeaaaWWWW

Saga Musix

» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Harbinger

Myself, being an unintentional analyst of music and its immediate history, i would offer that music in general isn't "better" -- it's just different. Pop songs especially were much more human before technology got hold of it, and the more "electrication", computerization, automation, and digitalization music has received, the less real, human, and aesthetically heart-felt it has become. Now i'm all for "artificial" music (as opposed to acoustic), but with more synthesis rather than brain-to-object performance, the "soul" brought out in music seems to become more contrived or in some cases artificial and unreal.

This different facet and function of music is not necessarily better or worse; it's just that we have more choice than when the technology wasn't there. And as long as you have the liberty to choose your outlet of expression, both as a composer and a listener, i find it hard to argue against this new artificiality, even though the devil does use it for his purposes too.

In regards to the original quote on YouTube, it's typical for a young person to believe that the world didn't start until they were born, and that anything that happened before he was born is the same as ancient history. As he gets older and wiser (hopefully), he'll understand that events and tastes today are part of an evolution, like fast traffic on the interstate into which he must merge...

(That GIF is hilarious, psishock! ;D   Did you do that?)

Saga Musix

I've seen that GIF (and similar ones) some time ago already, I doubt it's his own creation. ;)

Voltrom

Jimi Hendrix was an awesome musician, together with some outstanding Artists back then (Jefferson Airplane, Country Joe and the Fish, Janis Joplin .......)

Just show me one Song of Skrillex that has the Soul, wisdom and heart that the songs of the musicians above have.

Btw. If i want to hear Skrillex i start working in a tool shop and i even get paid for listening to this shit all day.

psishock

@Harbinger
the gif is from 4chan, its intentionally hilarious like the most stuff from there. :)

Digging a little deeper about the modern technology and what did it do with the music... well for starters, it gave the masses an endless number of tools (let it be free, cheap or more expensive one) thus basically anyone who shows an interest can "make" music and share it with the people. I honestly think that no matter where do you look at the history, you will find great musicians, the difference is perhaps that the mainstream guys are giving less and less effort and time on their compositions as the time goes on. This imho has nothing to do the music being human or "artificial". One could argue about this being a good or bad thing, but the dominant mass of the people are demanding dead simple structures and lightly layered experience. Most of the people have bad patience and weak focus abilities, thus cannot really focus to precise details on the complex compositions and they will find these type of music confusing, boringly long and unable to enjoy it or interpret what it tries to express. Mainstream composers are feeding from this flaw, and just giving the people what they want. You can find even nowadays composers who will make you say "holly crap that is truly amazing" out loud, same as you could do in the old days. We cant forget, that because music is so widespread and easy to make nowadays, it has much less value than in earlier days. Chances are less likely that one would "sacrifice" months or years from his life on one composition, like in classical era for instance, so you probably wont see that complex notations with modern (synthetic) instruments and other aiding tools. As we know, music only get as good as much time and effort you put in building it up from the ground to the top.

...and then we have this talented famous guy over here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=P0MIxoM_o_8#t=173s
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Saga Musix

Man, that's some quality music right there in that video.

Louigi Verona

I am always reminding people that with the emergence of recording equipment along with music came a different form of art. I strongly believe that many examples of "modern music" is not the same music that was before. You cannot compare Mozart or even Hendrix to, say, Saafi Brothers.

I did write a short article on the topic, I do plan to write more, but do have a read:
http://www.louigiverona.com/?page=projects&s=music&t=radiogram

So, in my view, this has nothing to do with soul or whatever. People listening to "electronic" music search for melodies and for "warmth" in a specific form, while electronic music is often a different form of art altogether. To supply an analogy - it is weird to focus on color richness in a sculpture and on shape in painting.

Pizearke

To be fair, Skrillex is a bad example of having any power or soul in music. I believe that it's possible to put emotion and power into music with synthesizers the way Jimi Hendrix used his guitar. Most electronic musicians such as Skrillex are the equivalent suburban kids who buy a guitar, are really into it for a few days, then put it on a stand in the corner for the rest of their life and say "Oh, yeah, I'm a guitarist." It's simply a matter of how you use the tools you have.

Voltrom

Quote from: Pizearke on July 16, 2012, 03:39:07
To be fair, Skrillex is a bad example of having any power or soul in music. I believe that it's possible to put emotion and power into music with synthesizers the way Jimi Hendrix used his guitar.

Me too, but i simply don`t understand Skrillex music, maybe I`m already too old. Cause the kids in the vids are jumping and screaming as it was the best what they have ever heard.

Techno had always this industrial sounds and Dubstep was mostly about Bass and fine Melodies, Skrillex sound is okay till it comes to the drop and then it is simply unhearable to my ears.

Heatseeqerz

It May have gotten easier to actually lay various elements together today, but the rules are still the same regarding professional compositions. Without Technology, Jimmy Hendrix would have been a basic Guitar and Amplifier. He had special fuzz boxes made for him, for example. With the dawn of Rock n Roll we saw the dawn of more complex forms of composing and even during the early 60s there was some amazingly complex studio arrangements being released while simple less complicated structures could impact quite the same. Being a subjective medium, in the course of time ANYTHING can impact upon the listener / s . Nothing has changed.

We can read some articles from the 60s that say pretty much the same in regards criticism about the music of that time, and oddly enough, the EXACT same criticisms as we read about today's music. If you are thinking about the so called mass produced crap today. Then think in relation to back in the 60s, we had Cliff Ritchard to compare with Justine Bieber and there is NO dis-similarity. I need not make other comparatives to prove the point.

Yes, we can today do something that took hours back in 1968. But today we also create in a way that is hard and not easy, otherwise we would ALL be writing hits. As soon as it became easy to create tracks like we was hearing at Raves (Which was harder to do back then) that style would die off and more complex compositions and styles was born. When i say complex, i refer to the methods and sounds used. Because the rules are still the same. We have not invented any new notes or chords, nor have we created any new rules to composing and production because sounds is still the same and any musical arrangement will always be made up of the same basic elements of bass, rhythm, drums and lead (Low middle high) and everything in between. We still use traditional sounds as well as new sounds created with the latest methods and instruments.

The only real one thing that HAS changed (And i shall not elaborate on it) is the artist no longer has to depend on major record companies to be heard and discovered. But it is still just as hard to make it big in areas. Many labels would reject an artist / band if they did not like their politics or attitudes. Because the new music of today was created independent of the industry and "Scene" it has thus set a precedent and paved the way for that to continue. That is why it never simply died out like Punk or Psychedelic did.

They made NO compromise, No Sell outs, No control of shows and did it themselves. They made it happen and we can follow that example. They tried this in the 60s and failed.

One last note: Without the Jimmy Hedrix's , we would not have what we have today. They planted the seeds. And they did it first, it just never lasted.

Peace......