does mptrack.exe stay alive??

Started by himhim3240, May 30, 2012, 02:15:03

Previous topic - Next topic

himhim3240

hi, i made a few doodles today, and saved.. and then exited open mpt.. but the exe is still open? its been like 5 min since i closed it? (i notice lag when the program as running and im still noticing it.. I eventually ended the process but still..
does it normally stay open as something in the background to speed up program boot when its needed? (like adobe acrobat.)
or this just may be a bug? (it did take a bit to finally get terminated even by windows..)
Just curious, (I did a quick search of the forums nothing says anything about it as a background task..)

LPChip

Its a bug.

I've experienced it myself, and there's a bug open for this. Unfortunately, its not consistent for happening although I must say that in the latest version I haven't noticed this happening. What version are you using?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

I'd guess it to be a sound driver bug. Can you still kill the application from task manager or will it stay there once it's closed? Since I've never seen this happening to me, I cannot fix it either. A memory dump of the application while it's in this state would be useful to have, so if you experience the problem again (using the latest version of OpenMPT), please go to the task manager * and create a memory dump of the application (right-click mptrack.exe -> Create Dump File). Then compress the dump (use 7-zip for good compression) and upload it somewhere.

* If you're using a 64-Bit version of Windows, please use the 32-Bit version of Task Manager, located at C:\Windows\SysWOW64\taskmgr.exe
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

himhim3240

ok.. will do.
1st run after the latest update it happened.. and umm.. Ill try to remember to use the 32 bit version..

Pizearke

I've been having this issue too. I'll be sure to upload a memory dump.

Saga Musix

That would be appreciated! Also, please verify if mptrack.exe can be closed through the task manager (after you have taken the memory dump, of course).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Pizearke

Quote from: Jojo on June 02, 2012, 18:21:17
(after you have taken the memory dump, of course)

http://www9.zippyshare.com/v/34426286/file.html

This wasn't after it crashed,  this is while it was crashing. for some reason the "Close MPT or check online for a solution?" dialogue doesn't come up anymore, it just freezes.

Oh, right and I've confirmed that task manager will close it.

Saga Musix

Are you sure you used the 32-Bit version of Task Manager? It seems that this is a 64-Bit memory dump.

Pizearke

I didn't even think I was on a 64-bit computer.

I'll look for a 32 bit version though.

edit: http://www66.zippyshare.com/v/97581503/file.html

Saga Musix

Thanks, this is a lot more helpful. Seems like the DirectSound code is again the culprit. Theoretically this could even be related to random DirectSound crashes that have been reported. I guess it would be best to just rewrite all the DSound code, or use a library like portaudio that keeps away all the trouble...

If available you should use an ASIO driver.

Pizearke

Do I just go to asio4all and download?

Saga Musix

ASIO4All is a possibility if you have no native support for ASIO, yes. Keep in mind that the thing that most people dislike about ASIO4All is that it opens the soundcard in exclusive mode, though, so if you have any other applications running in the background (browser, IM, ...), they won't be able to use the soundcard while OpenMPT outputs sound through ASIO4All.

Pizearke

Quote from: Jojo on June 04, 2012, 12:05:19
ASIO4All is a possibility if you have no native support for ASIO, yes. Keep in mind that the thing that most people dislike about ASIO4All is that it opens the soundcard in exclusive mode, though, so if you have any other applications running in the background (browser, IM, ...), they won't be able to use the soundcard while OpenMPT outputs sound through ASIO4All.

Oh, I see.

Yeah, I've been running asio. It still crashes after a while and it still runs slow at the oddest parts.

Saga Musix

If it actually crashes, please upload a crash dump. OpenMPT 1.20 will normally create those for you in the system's temporary folder (and show a messagebox with the location).