[Synthpop] Discovery (it/ogg)

Started by Saga Musix, April 11, 2012, 21:49:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

Discovery ranked 4th in the tracked music compo at Revision 2012. All in all it was a very awesome and high quality compo, yet I would have expected to get into the top-3. Oh well...
Samples are mostly from my wonderful Roland D-50, my Yamaha AN1x and kb6 drum samples.

Download

Here's also the compo version with 8-Bit samples, which fits in 2 MB (compo limit):
http://scene.org/file.php?file=%2Fparties%2F2012%2Frevision12%2Ftracked_music%2Fsaga_musix_-_discovery.zip&fileinfo

Enjoy.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Saga Musix

Added high quality download link as well now.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Asharin

Fantastic, enjoyed this immensely! :D
I am Dyslexic of Borg, resemblance is fertile, your ass will be laminated.

KrazyKatz

Reminiscent of old school tracking days with some added 80's cheese beats. The 80's thing isn't my taste honestly, but definitely enjoyed the reminiscence of the old tracking days style.

Musically I think putting a delay on the bass at 2:00 to or giving the bass more intricacy could have added an extra level.

All in all a great piece.

Now what I have to make mention of is that your mixing skills are improving immensely! Can't find any fault here. No overpowering tops that is usual of your pieces. Every instrument comes out as if it's the only instrument without bothering any others and they all work perfectly as a whole. This is very good work. Brilliant EQing. I'll be downloading the source to see what you did. Lot to learn here.

Beautiful Kick Drum! Where can I get it?
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

Saga Musix

Thanks for the listen! As the samples are mostly from an 80s synth (the Roland D-50), the 80s sound was quite to be expected, and I liked it. :)
And concerning the mixing, well, it's of course not using any plugins, but I did some smaller EQing on the samples to make them interact together well (didn't always work out...).

The kick drum is from JayB's Trance Collection. It's two samples from the collection mixed together actually, one of the low-frequencies body and a highpassed kickdrum for the clicky part.

Harbinger

Notes as i'm listening:

Bit of a retro feel with 90s timbres and motifs, but a couple of contemporary percussive sparkles keep it modern. The melodic lines are well-defined and use a nice timbre, and there is plenty of sectional chord progressions -- V-C-V-R-C and the like. The drum-in-a-box is a bit too formulaic but i see a bit of departure from Jojo's usual treatment. The instrumental progressions are excellent and keep the song interesting to the close.

Saga Musix

Thanks for the feedback! Not sure what a drum-in-the-box is supposed to be and why it's formulaic, though...

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

Nicely formed song,really.

Needed something interesting to cool off my boredom for awhile.Thanks. :)
Blue Flames of the Night.

Was known as Alchemy before(with an Dialga picture).