OpenMPT not making any sounds

Started by Kerma, March 03, 2012, 05:03:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerma

Hello, I recently just downloaded OpenMPT and have little to no experience with the program- but I made sure I followed the tutorials. I configured my sound card to ASIO4ALL v2 and such but whenever I try to do anything, nothing makes any sound. I don't really have any experience with modplug trackers as I am just getting into the world of computer-composed music as a keyboard player, but was recommended this for composing melodies- so detailed help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Rakib

Have you tried with any other sound devices?
Which tutorial did you follow.

Easiest way to get any sound is to go to the sample tab and load a sample and press play from the sample tab, have you tried that?
^^

Kerma

I followed the tutorial on the wiki (about starting and configuring openMPT) and one on youtube about basic modplug functions, so I know how to grab samples and such but no sound is produced.

LPChip

Can you play the song that comes with OpenMPT?

A simple, open and play song.

If you don't get sound there either, does it at least show any movement in the pattern area (with auto-scroll on)? If it doesn't show movement in the pattern area while playing the song, then it means you have to configure your audio. It can't open the device. Could be used by another program. If it does scroll, but you still hear nothing, then it is playing fine, but the output goes to something that is muted or not connected.

You mention Asio4all. Please first try without asio4all. Its very easy to misconfigure asio4all, and since you have no knowledge of OpenMPT yet, its better to first get sound from OpenMPT and then see if you actually need Asio4all.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

ASIO4All tries to use your soundcard in exclusive mode, so it won't be able to produce any sound if another application is running that makes use of the sound card - such as a web browser, instant messenger, video player, etc.
If that is the case, switch to a DirectX device instead (blue icon) with a buffer length of about 40ms, or less if it doesn't produce any clicks and crackles.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Kerma

Yes! I changed my audio format from ASIO4ALL and it works perfectly. Thank you.