game background music

Started by fireside, November 23, 2011, 18:10:16

Previous topic - Next topic

fireside

Hi.  I just downloaded modplug.  I'm an amateur game writer currently working on an adventure game I plan to put on Kongregate.  Anyway, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to donate some background music.  Unity does mod music and it's a lot more efficient than mp3 for online games.  I need something soft and ambient.  The game has a projected finish date of 6 weeks and will be an escape the room game.

Rakib

Check out http://modarchive.org/ and find a song you like, and ask the author if you are allowed to use the song.
^^

Saga Musix

Note that you can also browse the archive by license. And of course there's the ModArchive forums, were more musicians that use other trackers lurk as well.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

fireside

Thanks for the replies.  I've checked out some of them but I don't think they were intended for background music.  I guess I'll try learning Modplug.  Looks quite interesting and there seems to be quite a bit of documentation.

Saga Musix

Sure, most of that music was made because the musicians felt like composing something, not because they had game music in mind. Still, there is a large variety of CC-licensed and PD music on The Mod Archive (and many songs with no licenses set), so I'm sure you could find something suitable... it might just take a while. ;)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

You can also ask on The Nifflas Support Forum if there's someone who's willing to make you some music. That forum is all about games and being creative. Its also a good place to showcase your game once you're done with it.

Its possible that you'll get Oggs, but is that really a problem? Most games are big anyway, and the quality is much better if you can do Oggs (due to VSTi's)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

KrazyKatz

Of course if you have a budget, even a modest one (Mod-dest?), I'll be happy to squeeze some time in to custom make something for your game. You can see my credentials here:

http://sonicbrilliance.com/portfolio/

And I still use Modplug for games :) Feel free to message me from my contact page at the site.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

Harbinger

Actually i found ModPlug Tracker because i wanted to compose music for UT99, which i have (but none have been ported to the game  :P ).

I have dozens of unfinished tracks that are simply waiting to be produced and installed into the background of a FPS or RPG. I'd even be willing to donate some of my finished soundtrack works to your project (as long as i get credit of course).

Only thing is, i need to know what kind of music you're looking for. Supply us with names of trackers or links of music you like, and i'll see if i can accommodate! ;)

fireside

The game is an adventure game, escape the room, actually,  so basically, it needs to be very low key and background, ambient.  Probably no drums or maybe rolls once in a while, periods of silence.    Picture a television show where the music is very background.  If you decide to do it, I'll need the mod script because it would be a web game and the file size needs to be small.