OpenMPT freezing on focus change (Win7 x64)

Started by Skaven, November 07, 2011, 19:11:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Skaven

I have run into a problem with OpenMPT, that I haven't run into before I got my new Win7 x64 PC.

If I switch focus to another program (to edit samples, view a web page, etc), then switch back to OpenMPT, it becomes unresponsive. The wheel just spins forever and OpenMPT is won't respond. I have to shut it down. Unsaved changes are lost.

Not 100% sure of the exact conditions, as in, how to reproduce. I have had one or two tracker songs opened simultaneously. I have used other programs that use the same primary sound driver (like FL Studio). I have listened to audio clips via VLC media player. But not every time. But I did create a dump file of the frozen OpenMPT (154 MB), if it's any help.

Saga Musix

The dump file could be helpful, though I already suspect that it might indeed be related to driver issues. Can you 7zip it and upload it somewhere?
If the freezes keep happening, please try using another sound driver in OpenMPT as well (preferrably ASIO if available).

QuoteUnsaved changes are lost.
See, I know why I always have autosaves set to be saved every minute. :)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Can it be that you're using ASIO, and another program claims the ASIO and that crashes OpenMPT?

I've had similar crashes happening due to sounddrivers being in use etc.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Crashing is not the same thing as hanging, though. If an ASIO driver reproducably hangs because it cannot open a stream, it's really poorly written. On the other hand, there are ASIO drivers that do regular bluescreens, but that's a different story. Generally, from my experience, ASIO drivers are the most stable in OpenMPT.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Skaven

I'm using the Win7 primary sound driver. I've used ASIO with FL Studio, and the only problem I've had with that is that it "falls asleep" if I switch to another program and has to be poked at and waited for until it wakes up again.

OK Jojo, I'll send you a link to the frozen OpenMPT dump .7z file in a private message.

Skaven

Quote from: Jojo on November 07, 2011, 19:16:40See, I know why I always have autosaves set to be saved every minute. :)
I would probably have it enabled too, but I save all my tracker projects to a networked RAID box, and the current project is 12 Mb, so every autosave causes quite a delay. Granted, on a local hard drive it would be pretty much instant. Maybe I can come up with some kind of a backup batch...