[EDM] Conflagration (mp3)

Started by bvanoudtshoorn, September 14, 2011, 12:54:50

Previous topic - Next topic

bvanoudtshoorn

It's been a long time since I last posted here; too long! I guess that it's symptomatic of my not having time to write as much music as I'd like to.

Anyway, I have managed to find the time to write a few pieces. This is the most recent. I've been meaning to write a piece in this idiom for years. It's an industrial/orchestral hybrid. I don't know why, but I always find this style of music fun, notwithstanding its occasional heaviness.

The usual Native Instruments suspects are at play in this piece: Kontakt, Massive, FM8, and Battery. All of them driven by OpenMPT and Xlutop Chainer.

You can grab it from my website, or just grab the MP3 directly.

jmkz

Welcome back!, I've missed your touch style ;) I like the way you have composed, specially your integration of violins...

wandering genie

bvanoudtshoorn: Just listening to it! Some interesting parts, the sound you choosed for the main riff is very accurate. And the slow parts are very climatic. I imagin them great as a soundtrack. As a small critic, the riff becames too repetitive to my ears for some moments.

Saga Musix

You have some really nice sounds and sound combinations there, but I have to agree with wandering genie that this gets quite repetitive after a while. The same melody over and over... :\
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

bvanoudtshoorn

@jmkz: Good to be back -- thanks!

@wandering genie: Glad you liked it. Yes, I think that it does get a bit repetitive after a while. The problem is that when I tried doing different things with it, a) they sounded bad :P and b) they would've needed time to establish themselves, which would have made it longer than I would've liked. :/

@Jojo: Thanks -- playing with timbre is one of my favourite pastimes. And yes, I think it may be a bit repetitive...

Thanks for the feedback, guys -- I really appreciate it! :D

Asharin

I thought it was fantastic, sometimes repetitive isn't a bad thing, it certainly sounds less repetitive than most of my 'music'

I don't even usually like this kind of thing but this was most enjoyable :)  I really must make some more music myself sometime, it's been almost 4 years... :/
I am Dyslexic of Borg, resemblance is fertile, your ass will be laminated.

Harbinger

Notes as i'm listening:

I love the classical orchestration and the minor key theme in the intro, and the transition to a modern sound is nicely seamed. The timbral choices are decent but maybe a bit too much bass layering and lack of high-register voicings to either lead a melody or provide some background motifs. The transition back to orchestra is also well-done.

Don't know when i'd want this in my ears though. Not exactly easy listening, can't really dance to it, and too unusual to be put in the background as i work. Hmmm...

bvanoudtshoorn

@Asharin: Glad you liked it! :D

@Harbinger: Hmm, I know what you mean about "not knowing when you'd want this in your ears". Glad you enjoyed it nevertheless!
I agree that it's generally quite a low-/mid-tone-heavy piece. I think that the difficulty lies in the warmth of the orchestral tones...

Thanks for the feedback!

mrvegas

Listening now.  Personally, I love this kind of thing -- good use of technology and good music.  I like it very much.  Agree slightly with the criticism that a few cuts could be made.  There's nothing wrong with a 2:30 song.

I found the comment about wondering when to listen to it interesting.  Implied therein is the concept that music is always a background experience.  Not to take the comment out of context, but a big problem with the musical audience these days is the lack of interest in listening as a primary interest (as opposed to something to do when one is doing something else).

Anyway, nice track.