Help Wanted: OHM content transfer

Started by Saga Musix, August 25, 2011, 17:07:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

Well, in the first place I wanted to keep it simple. Exporting from MediaWiki to PDF currently truncates most CSS styles (only a few like colours and such are actually converted), so article designs must be kept simple. I haven't checked yet if the same is true for DocBook export (which could be used for generating a CHM file), but I guess it will be.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Harbinger

Quote from: Exhale on September 09, 2011, 08:36:13
I can help with the pictures / design if you need any. looking at the ohm, I think so, I'm a graphic designer, and I often come on this webpage so send me a message.

If you use MPT, most of what's needed is screenshots of the various dialogs, examples, and other GUI images that show the new user what to expect or look for when using MPT. Jojo has requested (and i concur) that these should be formatted as PNG files for clarity and minimal size. And while i have created new graphics in PNG, older images are still in JPG, only because i haven't needed to update them. Feel free to complete these updates (but use fresh images -- don't convert JPGs to PNG; that defeats the purpose).

The only problem is, we'll need a standard. Since i was the only one creating the images, i just used my system, which i'll admit may not be that universal in appearance. Now that everyone is contributing to the transfer and maybe updating or adding new docs and images, the GUI appearance for example graphics and screenshots should have a uniform look.

Other than that, images for headers and such i'm sure can be requested by Jojo or other contributors...

jmkz

Quote from: Harbinger on September 13, 2011, 19:35:09

The only problem is, we'll need a standard. Since i was the only one creating the images, i just used my system, which i'll admit may not be that universal in appearance. Now that everyone is contributing to the transfer and maybe updating or adding new docs and images, the GUI appearance for example graphics and screenshots should have a uniform look.

What about using Windows Standard theme? It's standard, and OpenMPT uses Windows' native GUI. Maybe look ugly, but controls are shown correctly, without white areas between them and similar problems with themes.

Saga Musix

Well, "Standard" depends on the Version of Windows you're using. On XP it's luna, which is ugly and luna screenshots tend to be big. Personally I'd want to keep all screenshots in Win2k style. That's available on all OSes from Win98 through Win7.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

jmkz

Quote from: Jojo on September 14, 2011, 21:14:42
Well, "Standard" depends on the Version of Windows you're using. On XP it's luna, which is ugly and luna screenshots tend to be big. Personally I'd want to keep all screenshots in Win2k style. That's available on all OSes from Win98 through Win7.

Personally I am always talking about the better known Windows Classic theme, Luna on XP it's the default. Also, starting from Vista, the classic theme it's under the name of Windows Standard instead classic, just as a note.

Harbinger

I've never liked the Win 2K look, but if it's easily accessible to all, then let's go with that. Only problem is, on XP, how do i enable this theme? Be specific, for everybody now and in the future....

Saga Musix

Quote from: Harbinger on September 19, 2011, 13:49:23
Only problem is, on XP, how do i enable this theme? Be specific, for everybody now and in the future....
Rightclick desktop, Properties, Appearance. As seen here. In Vista/7, it's rightclick desktop, Personalize.

LPChip

Quote from: Jojo on September 19, 2011, 14:18:03
Rightclick desktop, Properties, Appearance. As seen here. In Vista/7, it's rightclick desktop, Appearance.
Actually, in windows 7/vista its different. You rightclick the desktop, choose personalize, Choose Window Color, then choose "advanced appearance settings" to get to the same dialog.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Well ok, then it's "Personalize" in english installations, not "Appearance". Still, all you have to do is to scroll down in the preview list to the "Ease of access themes".

Saga Musix

Thanks to the big help of Rakib and jmkz, a large amount of articles has already been copied over to the new wiki. Thanks a lot for that! PDF export still has various issues, most of them appear to be problems with the render library. I hope they can be resolved at some point. :\

jmkz

Ehm... in OHM source docs there's a glossary. I'd get integrated into wiki, but there's two choices. One is add each term as single page, and the other add as first one but like "Glossary:_YourTermHere" and a special page called Glossary and all terms listed in it like this.
What do you think?

Saga Musix

I don't think that there's a need for glossary. Afterall, the wiki is searchable (and has categories in which all articles are sorted in), and the PDF version has an index, which can be used for quickly browsing the manual - and of course every PDF viewer has search functionality.

Rakib

I actually think it would be nice with a glossary, this wiki is not only about modplug tracker but music generally. It has so many terms that could be handy for anyone that wants a 101 course in music theory.
^^

jmkz

Quote from: Jojo on October 15, 2011, 17:44:42
I don't think that there's a need for glossary. Afterall, the wiki is searchable (and has categories in which all articles are sorted in), and the PDF version has an index, which can be used for quickly browsing the manual - and of course every PDF viewer has search functionality.

I mean for something like this (and so on), not a glossary at all, make terms searchable through wiki.

Quote from: Rakib on October 16, 2011, 13:03:01
I actually think it would be nice with a glossary, this wiki is not only about modplug tracker but music generally. It has so many terms that could be handy for anyone that wants a 101 course in music theory.

Yes!, I agree too, for example, newcomers are not familiar with how it behaves OpenMPT with their objects, and even music theory were important. I think it would be useful for mostly these people.

Saga Musix

Uhm, you know that the terms are already searchable if they are simply mentioned in an article, yes? So as long as for example the article about the pattern editor mentions the term "active row" in some way, it will appear in the search results if someone searches for that term.