[Trance] Cloud Number 5 (it/ogg/mo3)

Started by Saga Musix, August 14, 2011, 19:33:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

Winner of the tiny tracked music compo at Evoke 2011. Trance vibes in just 64k to please your ears.

Download HQ version
Download compo version (64k MO3, scene.org)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Rakib

Congrats with the win!
Must say it was a great track you managed to make with only 64k, good sound quality and nice melody.
^^

Saga Musix

Thanks, Rakib.

A slightly longer version (also with high quality samples) is now available in the first post.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Harbinger

Notes as i'm listening:

Nothing like my Cloudsong No. 5 (a new age solo piano suite), this is one of Jojo's more upbeat pieces, a description of the finer things in life, the decent things, the pure kind of happiness most of us felt right before we hit adolescence -- old enough to appreciate the world we lived, and still innocent enough to think there could be no harm from the world we lived. I noticed a transition to the serious after 3:00 but the song ended without any more. I would have liked to have heard a 2nd movement of this dance concerto in its minor key.

Saga Musix

I would have liked to make this tune a lot longer, too, but it had to fit in the 3:30 limit of the compo and I didn't find motivation to do an extended version afterwards, after the whole pattern / sample / instrument optimization. Still, thanks for your feedback!

bvanoudtshoorn

I've got to be honest, I wasn't expecting much from a 64K track -- more fool me! This is a really solid trance track, and a good listen besides. :) I think that the smaller, tighter samples have made it slightly light in the low end; not so much a problem as an artifact of its production.

If you do decide to do an extended version, I'd love to hear a more dynamically contrasted section within that. I don't think that 3.30 is long enough in this style to really do such a section justice, so it's not so much a criticism as a wish.

Saga Musix

Quote from: bvanoudtshoorn on September 14, 2011, 13:06:28I think that the smaller, tighter samples have made it slightly light in the low end
Heh, weird, since I'm actually layering several bass instruments there. Though indeed, the last bass layer that is introduced at 2:23 could probably have been used throughout the whole tune. Dunno, it sounded good on my speakers and headphones. :)
Anyway, thanks for the listen / comment!