export mp3 - ID tag problem...

Started by justinrpg, July 03, 2011, 17:25:21

Previous topic - Next topic

justinrpg

every time I tell MPT to include song information when exporting as mp3, it NEVER includes them in the mp3 tag, when mp3 is played, or looked at in properties, it is always tagless... my song info did not write into the mp3, even though I told MPT to do so... it never does...

Saga Musix

Du you by any chance happen to use Winamp to view the tags, or are you using an old version (older than 1.19) of OpenMPT?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

justinrpg

just checked my version, 1.18.03.00, and I looked at tags in Windows explorer by right clicking the mp3 and selecting properties, all blank...

Saga Musix

Then upgrade to the latest version, OpenMPT 1.18 is known to write out malformed ID3 tags.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

justinrpg

Quote from: Jojo on July 05, 2011, 22:51:22
Then upgrade to the latest version, OpenMPT 1.18 is known to write out malformed ID3 tags.
apparently so does the latest version, I am having the same exact problem even with the latest version, still there are no tags on ANY mp3 that I tell the program to write, just exported 3 mp3s and told the program to add tags to all of them, none of them had tags.

Saga Musix

I'd assume that Windows Explorer can't handle ID3v2.4 tags then. Try a program like Mp3Tag and you'll see that the files are indeed tagged. If not seeing the tags in Explorer is a problem for you, you can convert them to ID3v2.3 in Mp3Tag.

justinrpg

yeah, I noticed that, mp3tag is what I used for a long time, anyway, why wouldn't windows explorer handle 2.4? but it handles 2.3, this is Windows 7 Ultimate we're talking about, the highest, and latest of Windows... and it only recognizes an older version of a tag, which i'm assuming 2.3 is older than 2.4, that's what makes sense... but what doesn't make sense is, that Windows 7 Ultimate can't read the latest version.

LPChip

There's a simple phrase for that....

Its windows.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

jmkz

Quote from: LPChip on July 06, 2011, 21:02:25
There's a simple phrase for that....

Its windows.

Where is the like button?  :P

Saga Musix

LPChip

"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

More seriously speaking: I just double- and triple-checked with a side-by-side comparison of Mp3Tag and OpenMPT: Their output is identical (apart from the order of the ID3 frames), and Windows Explorer refuses to read the tags from both programs. So yes, it's not our fault - there is no support for ID3v2.4 in Windows Explorer.

Even if the name might not give it away, ID3v2.3 and ID3v2.4 have severe differences, so there is quite a number of applications which refuses to read ID3v2.4 tags properly. And that is, again, not OpenMPT's problem.