Equivalent to set velocity?

Started by mrvegas, June 24, 2011, 01:34:53

Previous topic - Next topic

mrvegas

OK -- something that has been confusing to me since I first started tracking.  Are there any effects commands that are the equivalent to set velocity?  In other words, I know I can specify the volume for each note in the volume column and that will equate to velocity if it goes to a VSTi.  My understanding, though, is that if I don't specify the volume, the note will play at the default value -- not the last volume value set.

However, if I want to set the velocity to remain the same until I change it, what do I do?  (For most of what I have done in the past, this doesn't matter much, but it has been nagging me, and I can't help but feel I am missing something basic.)

LPChip

You can change how volume behaves for VSTi's on the instrument tab. At the bottom right of the instrument tab, there are the settings you're looking for.

I don't know them from the back of my head, and I'm at work so I cannot check it out for you now.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

mrvegas

Thanks -- actually I don't think this does what I meant, but I'll do some tinkering and find out.

Saga Musix

I don't think channel volume is currently taken into account (<== Unchecked fact), but this might be possible with the overhauled macro engine that can most likely be seen first in OpenMPT 1.20.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Christofori

Quote from: Jojo on June 24, 2011, 11:00:18
I don't think channel volume is currently taken into account (<== Unchecked fact), but this might be possible...

Not sure of channel volume myself (as I don't use it)... however...

If you set the velocity handling on an instrument to "use note volume", your handling to 'MIDI volume' and set your global volume to the desired/'default' value, each note played on that instrument with no specified volume will play at the global volume level.  It seems to act as a 'default' volume.  The same behavior doesn't seem to occur otherwise.. and might only work for VSTi instruments (I have not tested all combinations possible...) -- but if that's what you're looking for you could try these settings.  Otherwise it sounds as though you may want channel volume commands..

Quote from: Jojo on June 24, 2011, 11:00:18
...the overhauled macro engine that can most likely be seen first in OpenMPT 1.20.

O_O  overhauled... macros!  That sounds promising indeed :D
/christofori
'slightly disturbed and wonderfully content'
*Master of the Obvious*

Saga Musix

Hmm, I think what you might also want to look into is the Zxx Dry/Wet macro. Since VSTis don't have any input channels, the Dry/Wet ratio simply determines how loud the instrument will sound. Of course this affects all played notes, so it's independent from the channel where it's used, but if you're just using monophonic melodies, it might work.

Edit: Typo
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Christofori

Jojo: What, no additional hints or teasers for me? :(

[Edit: Apparently made irrelivant due to Jojo's typo]
/christofori
'slightly disturbed and wonderfully content'
*Master of the Obvious*

mrvegas

Good idea, Jojo, and I'll check that out.

Channel volume currently has no impact on VSTis (that I can tell).

The other alternative, of course, is just to interpolate the velocity (volume) down the column, but that always seemed a little inelegant.

Harbinger

I believe i made the update in the Reference section on the Instrument's Default volume (found in the section on the INstrument Tab), but i could be wrong -- it may be on the next build on my computer but has't yet made it to OHM 1.19...

If i remember correctly, the Default volume (or is it the Global Volume?) when applied to VSTi-based Instruments passes it as key velocity, but i think you have to have "Use Note volume" as the Velocity Handling behavior. So when you call a vxx with a note and an instrument call, the vxx sends the vxx value as key velocity value.

Also, i believe XM tracks use Kxx as a Key Velocity, but i forget how that squares with VSTi's. I DO know i wrote up everything that i could find out about Kxx in the OHM (see the Appendix on XM's Channel FX)...

Quote from: christofori on June 26, 2011, 01:25:31
Jojo: What, no additional hints or teasers for me? :(
Knowing Jojo as i do, he may tease you with what he's working on, but he's not going to give away any details on his project until it's actually ready. Not only because he doesn't want you to get your hopes up, and not only because he doesn't want to yoke himself with any unneccessary pressure, but also because his Prussian blood allows him to derive pleasure from watching others get anxious with desire at his mad inventions. ;D

Saga Musix

Quote from: Harbinger on June 27, 2011, 20:28:40
Also, i believe XM tracks use Kxx as a Key Velocity
Kxx sends a note-off command at tick xx. There is no special velocity command in the XM format, it just has two volume commands (vxx in the volume column and the MOD Cxx command in the effect column).

QuoteKnowing Jojo as i do, he may tease you with what he's working on, but he's not going to give away any details on his project until it's actually ready.
There's nothing secret about it, just read MIDI.TXT (which ships with Impulse Tracker) and you know what you will be able to do with the new system.

Harbinger

I should download Impulse Tracker, so i can read one txt file?  :P

C'mon man, can you print it out here? :D

Saga Musix

See the other thread. Also, it's always a good idea to have Impulse Tracker handy anyway. :P

Harbinger

than-Q!

(reading)

Wow, chock full of information!