in_modplug.dll: Winamp input plugin based on libmodplug (+GitHub)

Started by dsp2003, June 13, 2011, 16:15:34

Previous topic - Next topic

dsp2003

Hello! ^_^ Here's the nice news for everybody who wanted to use ModPlug's engine as replacement of "native" in_mod.dll based on outdated and buggy MikMod's engine: I've asked my fellow coder w8m to make a wrapper for libmodplug, so here it is.

Win32 builds: http://wks.arai-kibou.ru/soft.php#modplug

GitHub Repository: https://github.com/dsp2003/in_modplug/

Current version: 0.2b x86 | libmodplug v0.8.8.2

All file formats supported by libmodplug (except for MIDI files) are playable. The plugin is also capable of mo3 playback (if unmo3.dll is present in the Winamp's plugin directory).

Notice though those are my own builds with several minor tweaks, so they are slightly differ from the w8m's "vanilla" version (which is no longer in development).

There's no configuration dialog implemented yet, so please use in_modplug.ini to configure. The song dialog, on the other hand, is implemented and working well. ^_~

P.S. Due to obvious reasons, this plugin is incompatible with in_mod.dll, so please remove it from the Winamp plugins directory before installing in_modplug.dll.

P.P.S. No VST or DirectX effect support, sorry.

P.P.P.S. This plugin is no longer in development, thanks to nearly zero feedback and lack of interest.

Rakib

^^

Saga Musix

Quote from: dsp2003 on June 13, 2011, 16:15:34outdated and buggy MikMod's engine
Well, libmodplug was probably not the best choice then, either...

Quote from: Rakib on June 13, 2011, 16:42:43Including support of vst's?
libmodplug never had support for VST plugins.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

dsp2003

Jojo, sorry to dissapoint, but the Winamp's in_mod is based on heavely outdated MikMod (the version back from 1997th with minor bugfixes), so the 0.8.8.2 libmodplug is way better.

Just check how both engines are playing very tricky pieces like "A Synthetic Device" by Reed Richards (search it at ModArchive.org).

This plugin was made in our spare time, we've just done the thing for own enjoyment, so it might look rushed, yet about 97% of the existant songs are playing identically to OpenMPT.

Concerning "not the best choice", since you are current MPT maintainer, you can always write your own wrapper plugin "with Go and Geishas", if you want of course. ^_~

Saga Musix

dsp2003, sure I know about the bad playback quality of in_mod, but that doesn't make libmodplug any better :) If I was still using Winamp, I'd rather long for an updated version of in_bass - or well, maybe in_openmpt. ;)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

dsp2003

Jojo, again, why not BASS: the BASS itself is incompatible with Winamp's output system - the only implementation of in_bassmod I saw was merely a hack with zero configuration, very ugly playback with noticeable "dirty" sound, it crashed the application a lot, and wasn't even capable to display the Song information.

So, except for OpenMPT's engine, libmodplug is really the only simple and highest quality solution for module music playback available. ^_^

Saga Musix

That's why I said I wanted an updated version of in_bass. ;) And I'm sure it could be done in a better way too, when using a decoding stream / device. It didn't crash when I used it, but it was enough reason to get a real audio player. ;)
And btw, I'm sure the other popular mod playback libraries (xmp, dumb, etc) would be equally easy to implement - don't get me wrong, I really appreciate your effort, I just say that libmodplug is far from perfect as well (but so is f.e. xmp...).

LPChip

I also prefer xmplay over winamp with any in_ plugin. I just haven't seen a player to play modules better than xmplay does. It even has some hacks for older modplug tracker version's features, like basic directx plugin support.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

dsp2003

To tell the truth, I liked the XMPlay too, up until the moment I've met some "tricky" files, which weren't normally playable - the way XMPlay/BASS handles volume control/normalisation and several effects is unacceptable.

There's also BeRoTracker's engine as input plugin available, which plays some files way better than XMPlay, yet again it's not configurable. ~_~

// ( Why do I get the feeling nobody actually cares about configuration thing at all?! >_< )

Saga Musix

See, that's the great thing about XMPlay - you can store settings for each individual file (something you can't do with Winamp that way, and this is really a key feature of XMPlay for me). For example if you take brejle_a.xm from the BCC8 votedisk, the second part in it will sound distorted in XMPlay by default (because only one iteration of the module is used to determine the loudest peak) - but you can manually decrease the amplification and store it as a file setting, and it will sound correct forever. BeRoTracker has good module support but I think it doesn't support DNA settings in the IT format (at least the tracker itself doesn't) - something that will make many IT files sound wrong. And BTW, if you tell Ian about a bug in XMPlay, it will most likely get fixed within a day or two. ;)

JFD62780

...OKAY!!!  After years of inactivity to this forum, I have something Winamp actually plays better than the ModPlug engine: This song, in OKT format.  Dream by Mohr!  Play it in Winamp first, then play it in ModPlug and let me know how weird it sounds! ;D

(You think lack of a proper intro's the only symptom?  Give the song until 45 seconds in, to see what I'm REALLY talking about! ;D)

P.S.: I found this song over 10 years ago, and I didn't notice this until a couple years later, I played it in DeliPlayer, then Winamp.  The latter actually could pass for a DeliPlayer performance, the in_mod plugin's that good! (shuts up now)

P.P.S.: Forgive me for steering way offtopic...
Until next post...

Saga Musix

Quote from: JFD62780 on August 02, 2011, 05:27:56then play it in ModPlug
...in exactly which ModPlug product? OpenMPT has a completely rewritten Oktalyzer loader and plays the module correctly. ModPlug Tracker (which has been superseded by OpenMPT) doesn't play it correctly, but then again it hasn't been updated since 2003 (afterall it has been replaced by OpenMPT). libmodplug is developed independently from OpenMPT, so they do not share the same replay code. ModPlug != ModPlug.

JFD62780

I meant the Winamp plugin mentioned in the topic, of course, as well as the standalone ModPlug Player.  Which hasn't been updated in YEARS, BTW!  :P

...Would it be too much to ask for a brand new standalone OpenModPlug Player, in addition to your dream in_openmpt plugin? ;)
Until next post...

Saga Musix

Quote from: JFD62780 on August 05, 2011, 23:09:37...Would it be too much to ask for a brand new standalone OpenModPlug Player
Yes. Seriously, why another player if there are already perfect players like XMPlay out there? If anything, I'd rather write xmp-libopenmpt, but even that's something I don't have time for.

Edit: Yay, here we go, 4,000 posts! :nuts:

BeRo

Quote from: Jojo on June 13, 2011, 18:54:38
BeRoTracker has good module support but I think it doesn't support DNA settings in the IT format (at least the tracker itself doesn't) - something that will make many IT files sound wrong.

This issue is fixed now :)