Change in forum categories

Started by Rakib, June 11, 2011, 13:25:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Rakib

I know the activity here on this forum is quite low but still I want a discussion about how to make the forum better.

With this, it is about making the categories better.

Here is a small suggestion I have:

Community
    ->General Chat
        ->MPT-FR
            ->Forum general (FR)
            ->OpenMPT (FR)
    ->Free music downloads
OpenMPT
    ->Help and questions
    ->Tips and tricks/Tutorials (not necessarily concerning modplug but music making in general
    ->Technical Documents
Development
    ->Development Corner
    ->Feature Request/Bugs

The reasoning:

The french community should be a sub forum under the general chatter, I think it fits there better.
I have also removed software downloads category, since I feel it feel better to just under general chatter as a sticky post. People dont go to the forum to get the links for downloading modplug, they should rather use openmpt.org. Music download is there it is today.

Under Openmpt I have added help and question, this is here newbies should go first to get help about something they wonder about in modplug. This way we can separate, from general chatter. Tips and tricks/tutorial, here can advanced user show how they do their creative stuff. maybe with pictures and detailed descriptions. Technical remains the same.

Development, development corner: Just like today, but with 2 stickys. The first is the latest test build, the second is how to compile the source.
I have also added feature request and bugs, and want it to be open again, just because it is easier to discuss in the forum instead of the issue tracker, and sometimes things should be verified too see if it is possible to fix or already implemented before making a request on the issue tracker.
^^

Saga Musix

Those are some sensible suggestions, I'll think about it (though I wouldn't say that MPT-FR should be a sub forum of the general chatter, since it has dedicated sub forums for support etc).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Rakib

Glad to finally see some activities in this thread. I understand about the french sub community.

So how about this:

Community
    ->General Chat
    ->Free music downloads
OpenMPT
    ->Help and questions
    ->Tips and tricks/Tutorials (not necessarily concerning modplug but music making in general
    ->Technical Documents
Development
    ->Development Corner
    ->Feature Request/Bugs
Other languages
    ->MPT-FR
            ->Forum general (FR)
            ->OpenMPT (FR)
    ->German (and other applicable languages.)
^^

Christofori

So long as you remove MPT-FR from underneath 'General' instead of duplicating it, I'd think it'd work. ;)
/christofori
'slightly disturbed and wonderfully content'
*Master of the Obvious*

Saga Musix

I have created a board specifically for question regarding OpenMPT, plugins and other stuff now and moved related posts from the first 6 18 pages of the general chatter there. Might continue with page 7 19 at some point (or someone else could do this, it's not like I have to do all the tedious work here, right?).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Christofori

You might consider a (brief if possible, all things considered.. ;D) vacation..!  Please don't burn out...

Help us, jojoKanobi.. you're our only hope!  (well, you are the last guy developing for some time now..)
/christofori
'slightly disturbed and wonderfully content'
*Master of the Obvious*

Rakib

Great!
And I have got a new pc and started to do some tracking again.
^^

Saga Musix

I reordered the boards a bit; The OpenMPT board really should be the most important one so I put it before the Community board.

Harbinger

I like the new coloring; it seems a little gentler on the eyes, less noisy.

Saga Musix

New coloring? Did I miss something? Or do you mean this in the figurative sense?

Rakib

I think the colors are the same.

But how is the skinning possibilities in SMF?
^^

Harbinger

No, there's new coloring, isn't there?

Before, the stickies were all pink weren't they? And now the posts seem to run together in the threads... ???

Saga Musix

In theory it should be fairly simple to create a new theme but
- I don't have the time to mess around with this
- I like the default theme (plus the little modifications I have made)
- I don't want to add too many modifications, to keep upgrades and stuff easy.

And yes, the forum theme hasn't changed at all in the last half year. Well OK, the upgrade to SMF 2.0 Final has changed the appearance of text links in posts a tiny bit, but that's not a big change at all.

Rakib

I guess some of the stickies should also be moved?

For the skinning thingy I was mostly thinking about rearranging some stuff but it is not that important.
^^

Saga Musix

Which one(s) in particular? I have already moved those which I found worth moving.