Does Phenome work for you?

Started by Saga Musix, May 01, 2011, 22:34:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

So I have been trying Phenome as a replacement for the ageing sfz and I had nothing but frustration so far:
- After re-opening the module, it forgets about all loaded soundfonts
- Sometimes I can try to change the patch as much as I want, but it will always return to 0-Piano (even with no patch information specified in the module instrument)
- As soon as I try to play sounds on another MIDI channel, I get no output at all.
I thought this was supposed to be a free plugin with no limitations? Do you guys have similar issues with Phenome?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Rakib

Don't know since i rarely use any soundfont-files. And recently since my computer died, I haven't been using MPT :(

But have you tried other alternatives like DiscoDSP Highlife or Jeskola XS-1?

http://jeskola.net/xs1/
http://www.discodsp.com/highlife/
^^

LPChip

I replaced sfz with phenome quite some time ago, and I don't have any problems at all.

I do use phenome inside Xlutop Chainer though. I can test it in a bare OpenMPT too if you'd like.

I also tried highlife as its a very promising VSTi. Unfortunately it has some issues with stereo on wav files. It put the right channel after the left.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Rakib: Thanks, I'll check them out.
LPChip: That would be much appreciated.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Quote from: Jojo on May 02, 2011, 12:14:26
Rakib: Thanks, I'll check them out.
LPChip: That would be much appreciated.

Aight, I will.. Care to remind me when you see me on msn or on irc?

EDIT: Checked it out. I create a new song, add one instance of phenome, load in an .SF2, set it to a bank and preset, enter some notes, saves the whole .IT file, closes the file, reopen, song is the same, and plays ok.

Are you perhaps using relative paths that change or anything like that? I have my .sf2's on a network share that is always pointing to the same drive, so it looks like absolute paths.

Edit2: attached the testsong.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

And how would you imagine me to specify relative paths in Phenome, please?
I have exactly the same problem with your module, when I add a soundfont/instrument on channel 2, I cannot change its patch using the Phenome GUI, and if I try to change it through the instrument settings MPT, Phenome goes silent forever.

LPChip

Eh, are you trying to use one instance of phenome for more sounds? I haven't tried that. I always use several instances of phenome. One for each sound.

Let me try that.

EDIT: Same thing, although I do get into a bug here: I can only change the first sound's patch. I've run into this before, and it seems to be something with this plugin.

So I can load in multiple channels and play them, save the song and everything is set. But there's a bug here, that makes it behave a bit weird. If I load that same sf2 in the first channel slot, I can change its preset without a problem.