Any plans for a 64-bit build of OpenMPT?

Started by shableep, March 28, 2011, 18:35:27

Previous topic - Next topic

shableep

So I'm using Kontakt and loading several huge libraries of samples into ModPlug as VST instruments. In XP (32-bit), they seemed to just barely squeeze into memory. But I recently upgraded to Windows 7 64-bit and have been running into some memory errors when loading the same library of VST instruments into ModPlug. So I guess I'm wondering two things.

What are the difficulties in getting a 64-bit OpenMPT build up and running? I really have no idea. Is there possibly a way to superficially build a 64-bit OpenMPT just to get passed the 32-bit memory limitations?

And, is there anything I should know about how Windows 7 allocates memory for 32-bit programs?

Saga Musix

Quote from: shableep on March 28, 2011, 18:35:27What are the difficulties in getting a 64-bit OpenMPT build up and running?
The code was not built with 64-bit compatibility in mind. If it was that easy, it probably would have been done already.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

shableep

Ah, aright. I read that you are shooting for platform independence "some day". Would migrating to 64-bit be less painful at that point? Or is that a completely disconnected issue?

Hey, btw. Thanks for the tons of upgrades you brought to ModPlug. I was using a 2 year old version of ModPlug just assuming the opensource movement lost some steam. Checked back and thought, "wow, where'd this come from?". Checked the change log and saw your name all over the place.

Saga Musix

Quote from: shableep on March 28, 2011, 20:15:44Would migrating to 64-bit be less painful at that point?
Well, there are so many things to consider and I'm not even sure if all the MFC code would work on 64-bit, so I would probably not even start with a 64-bit version before moving to a different window toolkit. There's a lot work to be done, that's for sure, but I hardly have time for doing all this work in my spare time, let alone all by myself.

Quote from: shableep on March 28, 2011, 20:15:44Hey, btw. Thanks for the tons of upgrades you brought to ModPlug. I was using a 2 year old version of ModPlug just assuming the opensource movement lost some steam. Checked back and thought, "wow, where'd this come from?". Checked the change log and saw your name all over the place.
Well... thank your for using OpenMPT, I guess. :)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Relabsoluness

Quote from: shableep on March 28, 2011, 18:35:27What are the difficulties in getting a 64-bit OpenMPT build up and running?

I reckon that the assembly code that OpenMPT has quite a bit and what can't be used as such in 64-bit build is the biggest problem.

Quote from: Jojo on March 28, 2011, 20:46:35
Quote from: shableep on March 28, 2011, 20:15:44Would migrating to 64-bit be less painful at that point?
Well, there are so many things to consider and I'm not even sure if all the MFC code would work on 64-bit

As far as I know MFC works fine as 64-bit build.

shableep

Ahh, aright. Good to know.

On a side note, after some googling and browsing I came across something called jBridge. Donno if you guys have heard of it, but it seems to be the perfect work around for getting ModPlug to run 64-bit VST plugins. Basically what it does is bridge between a host (32-bit or 64-bit) and a VST plugin (again, 32-bit or 64-bit).  It also runs each plugin in it's own process. So you can host multiple 32-bit VST plugins, and each plugin can use up to 2gb of memory. So for me, despite having a 64-bit Kontakt plugin, I'm using the 32-bit version in multiple processes and using all of my 4gb of ram without and memory trouble.

Anyway, thought you guys might wanna check it out. The author even gives out some documentation on how to integrate jBridge with hosts: http://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/how-to-add-direct-support-for-jbridge-in-your-host/