How Can I Record VSTinsturment live?

Started by OnTheRun, March 20, 2006, 12:05:11

Previous topic - Next topic

OnTheRun

I would like to know how can I play&record an VSTi straight to a pattern
, playing live from a separate vst-window ?

For example, I place a note on a pattern using vst-synth , and i?d like to modify that note with vst-effect live while running the track.

:twisted:

rewbs

I'm not sure I understand the question. The only ways to enter notes into the pattern editor are:
1. using the note keys when the pattern editor has focus
2. using a midi device
OpenMPT does not support recieving notes from VST effects that generate MIDI note data.

However, if you set up your instruments properly, you can play and hear the VSTi while entering notes in real time into the pattern editor. Is that what you want? Why do you specifically want to "play live from a separate vst-window"?

Or are you talking about modifying the sound of a VSTi with a VST effect by tweaking some parameter, and recording the variations real time?

LPChip

You seem to be wanting to record parameter changes from applying VST effects. Im not sure if they can be recorded live, but you can write them down by using midi macro's.

It'll be difficult at first to get your changes to be written down, but once you can do that, you'll find it better than actually being able to record them.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

rewbs

To clarify, there is a beta feature for recording parameter variations live, but it does not work well with all plugins yet. I will document how to use it in the near future.