[Dance] Innergizer (mp3)

Started by Zaphoid, February 06, 2011, 01:07:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Zaphoid

Cheesy Dance tune.  I made this with Elwood in mind who is a legendary tracker.  I did something not normally done in this genre.  I used a modulation from the key of C to F in the last part of the tune. 

http://www.buzztunes.org/music/xaphoid/innergizer

Harbinger

Notes as i'm listening

Nice Trance title :)
Beautiful if not plain intro. The cymbals all to one side is a bit disconcerting but maybe because it's not usual. Good space and false-compressor FX. Decent timbral progression, but chord progression is not very imaginative -- my ears want more (and more substantive) chord changes or do away with the chord progressions altogether. One way this is evidenced is in the desire for more "journey" when the song ends; it seems like the song is cut short, like the trip is incomplete. The percussive synth starting at about 1:00 is a welcome and unusual invention, but it really needs more "character development" either by arpeggiation or carving out a spot in the rhythmic progression (such as using a repeating submotif).
There is something of a melody "seed" at 2:25, and i fully expect the ship to launch but again i'm left with not very much. It's not badly composed, just lacking development and "carry".

Xaphoid is a very capable and talented EDM composer and i just feel this was not up to his usual standard. I actually get the feel that this was an experiment either with new FX, new instruments, or a new way of thinking about how to compose. The song lacks exploration and organization. We should wait patiently to see what becomes of this.