[Trance] Ocean Breeze (.it, youtube)

Started by Inavon, February 03, 2011, 02:30:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Inavon

This song is my first attempt at "real" tracking. I attempted to emulate side-chain compression in the pad and bass. All of the samples were created by me by sampling from VST's and OpenMPT, except two 909 samples and a closed hi-hat.

So I uploaded .it to The Mod Archive (heheh, punning with .it) and waited anxiously, hoping that it would pass the screening process. When I came back today, it not only passed, but was also featured! Yay, so happy!

.it download
YouTube
I have no sig—wait, what this?

jmkz

Mmm... awesome... very nice job... now, it's on my favourite list

Tony

And it is deserving of it too! Its an excellent job mate! You did well  :)

Also in my fav's list haha!

Saga Musix

There are quite many trance clichés in this track and it's quite predictable... but hell, it's catchy! :) The melody is stuck in my head. Well done! :)
I don't quite like the breakdown starting with pattern 1, but the rest of this tune is really nice.

And btw, that bass drum sample is a really good example of how to waste space... 236kb for a bass drum sample, seriously, wtf? :) Downsampling this to 48KHz will not certainly not destroy the sample, since there's not even any frequency content up there.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Inavon

QuoteAnd btw, that bass drum sample is a really good example of how to waste space... 236kb for a bass drum sample, seriously, wtf?  Downsampling this to 48KHz will not certainly not destroy the sample, since there's not even any frequency content up there.

Heh... :) I had sampled at a high frequency to do some edits with less quality loss, but I had forgotten to save the final sample at a lower frequency... Heheh... Same with some other samples. That's why it's friggin 5.70 MB. :o
I have no sig—wait, what this?

Rakib

Great song, nice to see someone try to do some real tracking with trance.
^^

Harbinger

Notes as i'm listening:

Weak intro, but the rest is fine. (My ears want to hear either some filter work or the inclusion of another -- perhaps rhythmic -- timbre.) Nice strong beat, and typical timbres and song design are comforting. Extra layers coming in and out, off-rhythm counterpoint, and maybe some timbral change in the lead synth would take this song from good to great. Very mix-able; DJs would love this if it were a more interesting song. For now though it serves only as good BG music...

Normally i don't like viewing the data structure of the track patterns (altho IT is much less byte-hungry than an audio format), so i'll take the opportunity to critique the module as much as the song...

The channels are divided nicely and are even labeled. The use of stereo FX (such as delay and stereo width) without the use of plugins shows the experience of the composer/tracker. One would note also the use of pattern separators, envelopes, S9x and Zxx Channel commands as extra expert techniques. All of this in toto makes this module an excellent teaching tool for newcomers to tracking.

One reproof: The use of GFF as a liaison effect between notes of different octaves (tracks 3 & 4 for the pulse synth) is quite superfluous. I listened to the pattern with and without the Gxx and there was no noticeable difference. The only reason they could possibly be important to the audio playback is if different tracking apps used Gxx with different portamento timetables...

Everything, however, was well-constructed and easy to listen to. Keeping in the background rotation...:wink: