Should I keep going with this song?

Yes, it shows potential
5 (83.3%)
No, start a new fresh one
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: March 16, 2006, 19:22:43

Squirrel Havoc

Ok, I notice when people release new songs, other people are always like "you should have done this" or "that would be cool if you did this", but the song is already done. So I am letting you hear my latest work in hopes that you can provide helpfull feedback on how I can inprove it.

Flaws I already know about:
1) The reverb on the piano is a little insane
2) The bassline is repetitive
3) There is a glitch in the beginning of the exported wav because of a VST effect (can't tell which one though).

Style: ??? (Help me out on this one)
Size: 1.6MB OGG
Length: 2:22

Download here

One last thing, can you report on the download speed from my server? Its fast for me, but it's in my part of the country.

Thanks for all you guys' help!
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

Randilyn

Quote from: "Squirrel Havoc"One last thing, can you report on the download speed from my server? Its fast for me, but it's in my part of the country.
100 KBps.

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "Squirrel Havoc"One last thing, can you report on the download speed from my server? Its fast for me, but it's in my part of the country.
Download time: ~1-2 sec

speed-goddamn-focus

rewbs

Atlantis

Put an end to the loudness war. Don't limit or compress your mixdown until mastering; leave the master channel alone.

http://www.facebook.com/atlanteanrecords

Atlantis

Honestly, I don't see any potential in this at all. Could just be me though, but it sounds really bad (and not only from an engineering perspective). I think you need to start by choosing better instruments, or at least ones that work together...
Put an end to the loudness war. Don't limit or compress your mixdown until mastering; leave the master channel alone.

http://www.facebook.com/atlanteanrecords

Randilyn

[deleted]

apple-joe

I really like the bassline, and the drum tracking/rhythm itself, but not the sound of the drums. Especially the closed hi hat was a little loud. But the groove is nice. I think it's got potential, definately, but you could create alterations of the bassline, so it
doesn't sound that static. Somehow I didn't particularly like the keyboard. Maybe it was the sound.

However, you shouldn't disregard this song. Keep the already steady drum track, spice up the bassline by dividing it up in varying parts, define the sound of the closed hi hat, and have another go at the keyboard part (maybe
substituting the sample is enough, but I'm not sure).

Squirrel Havoc

Thanks guys, I think I will stick with it, but change what I have so far before I add too it.
-

Dj Cruk CHIKIN

Eat... Its good for you.

DavidN

Download a plugin for the media player of your choice - search for them on Google.

Admittedly it took me a while to get them working, and I still can't WinAmp to play them at all - Media Classic works, though.

Squirrel Havoc

Quote from: "Wong"I still can't WinAmp to play them at all

Err. what are you doing wrong? It comes with the plugin to play ogg, it's all automagic and stuff
-

DavidN

That's what it says, but my copy flat-out refuses to open them. So "what am I doing wrong" is rather something I'd like to find out as well.

It may be something to do with having reinstalled it over an old version or something. I'll try again when I feel like being able to play IT files in it as well.

xaimus

I downloaded this at around 10 KiB/s.  My connection is not very good, though.

EDIT: I second Siloh's motion.  Try making this more, uhm, "atmospheric".