Old ModPlug Player v1.46.01 versus/vs. Winamp v5.6.

Started by ant, December 02, 2010, 01:30:57

Previous topic - Next topic

ant

Hello.

Is it me or is Winamp v5.6's Module Decoder v2.85 isn't good compared to old ModPlug Player (MPP) v1.46.01 for old S3M, MOD, IT, XM, 669, etc. tunes? They sound different, and I think MPP is better. What do you guys think? I wished MPP would get updated again.

Thank you in advance. :)

psishock

well winamp's module player is abyssal. :)
MPP's pretty old, and while it has quite a few player bugs (if my memory is not mistaken), it is overall a better module player.

But i wouldn't recommend to use any of those at all.

Our latest OMPT should give you the most proper and accurate playback, but if it looks too complicated for you to handle, you can also check XMPlay http://support.xmplay.com/
It's a lightweight and also a very accurate player.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

ant

Quote from: psishock on December 02, 2010, 02:26:05
well winamp's module player is abyssal. :)
MPP's pretty old, and while it has quite a few player bugs (if my memory is not mistaken), it is overall a better module player.

But i wouldn't recommend to use any of those at all.

Our latest OMPT should give you the most proper and accurate playback, but if it looks too complicated for you to handle, you can also check XMPlay http://support.xmplay.com/
It's a lightweight and also a very accurate player.
Thanks. I am using XMplay right now. It sounds good with my cheap headphones, but I really don't like its GUI like where's the shuffle, how do I make its playlist window bigger, etc.?

psishock

the default skin is....well default. xD
You will most likely want to change it to something more familiar, like Winamp5 (modern skin) if you're very familiar with winamp. Or perhaps you prefer a windows classic look? Take your time:
http://support.xmplay.com/file.php?cat_id=5

It could became your main music player, it has a plugin support for about every mainstream (and underground) formats.

ant

Quote from: psishock on December 02, 2010, 02:44:31
the default skin is....well default. xD
You will most likely want to change it to something more familiar, like Winamp5 (modern skin) if you're very familiar with winamp. Or perhaps you prefer a windows classic look? Take your time:
http://support.xmplay.com/file.php?cat_id=5

It could became your main music player, it has a plugin support for about every mainstream (and underground) formats.
Thanks. Will that let me set shuffle too? :D So far XMplay seems to be good as old MPP in terms of audio.

psishock

QuoteWill that let me set shuffle too?
Of course. You can toggle that simply with a button, just like in any worthwhile music player.

ant

Quote from: psishock on December 02, 2010, 02:55:36
QuoteWill that let me set shuffle too?
Of course. You can toggle that simply with a button, just like in any worthwhile music player.
OK good! I wonder why default skin doesn't. Grr.

psishock

see this hidden question mark? Toggle the shuffling with left clicking, or rightclick for more advanced options menu.

No, i wouldn't guessed that too alone, i googled it on their site. :)
Default skins....user friendly as hell. ;)

Saga Musix

The original question has been answered well enough, so no further comment on that.
It really helps to "RTFM" when it comes to XMPlay, because it probably can already do everything that you'd ever want it to do, but many options are hidden in the options. But it really *is* the best module player around.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

ant

Quote from: Jojo on December 02, 2010, 06:21:40
The original question has been answered well enough, so no further comment on that.
It really helps to "RTFM" when it comes to XMPlay, because it probably can already do everything that you'd ever want it to do, but many options are hidden in the options. But it really *is* the best module player around.
I actually skimmed and searched through the online manual but didn't find anything about anything about shuffle and expanding playlist's window. Heh, ? for shuffle? I thought it was for help. Weird usablity design.

Saga Musix

Well, xmplay.txt sure explains "shuffle". Though I don't use that anyway, I just use the random playback function.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

ant

Quote from: Jojo on December 02, 2010, 06:44:46
Well, xmplay.txt sure explains "shuffle". Though I don't use that anyway, I just use the random playback function.
Oh, I didn't try searching random. I only searched shuffle. :D

Saga Musix

The offline manual definitely mentions "shuffle". I just searched for it. :P

LPChip

Also note, the info window has an additional playlist that you can resize. :) And that works with any skin too. I have a huge collection of skins I like now, depending on my mood I can switch, although I usually use one for a year before searching for new ones, then download 10, and use one of them for another full year :P
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs