What do you think about Milky Tracker?

Started by Louigi Verona, November 26, 2010, 07:41:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Louigi Verona

I've been exploring it under Linux, since it is the most sophisticated tracker to run under Linux, excluding proprietary Renoise.

I must say it is wonderfully done. The ability to open several modules in tabs and copy data from one to the other is a great feature I've never seen in other trackers. All in all, I find Milky Tracker to be a really good project.

What do you guys think? Anyone tried it out?

Saga Musix

Am I really supposed to voice my opinion about Fasttracker-style trackers here now? :P

I remember you coming from the ST3/IT corner, so I wonder why you don't give Schism a try? It's a faithfully done IT clone, and is not restricted by all the XM weirdness and limitations that you get when using a FT2 clone like Milky.

I must say it is wonderfully done. The ability to open several modules in tabs and copy data from one to the other is a great feature I've never seen in other trackers.
Uhm... Have you ever used ModPlug/OpenMPT?! ::) Or are you just talking about Linux trackers there? :P
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

I usually find myself hard to adjust to a new tracker. I had some adjusting to do when I went from Impulse Tracker to MODPlug Tracker, and when I fire up IT now, I feel myself being in a strange world again, even though I have tracked like 8 years in it. For that reason, I won't consider switching until OpenMPT gets on my nerves because I miss features or other things, which hasn't happened yet.

I've given Renoise a try in the past when I had a writers block, and although it was kinda nice, I still felt that I was thrown back because it was too unfamiliar to me. I can compose a song in one hour in OpenMPT but it took over 4 hours to get a basic song in Renoise. I still should have that .rns file somewhere, but the demo expired so I can't do much with it anymore. :P
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Uhm, are you talking about Renoise or Reason? The Renoise demo doesn't expire, you just can't use WAV export and ASIO and similar stuff - but the functionality is always the same, no matter for how long you have the demo installed. Both programs shared the same file extension for some time, so there could be some confusion here.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Louigi Verona

I did try Shism, but although my first tracker was Scream Tracker, I could never produce a decent tune with it. Most of my work was done in IT format with ModPlugTracer. At that time it did not have tabs as far as I can remember.

LPChip

Quote from: Jojo on November 26, 2010, 10:30:38
Uhm, are you talking about Renoise or Reason? The Renoise demo doesn't expire, you just can't use WAV export and ASIO and similar stuff - but the functionality is always the same, no matter for how long you have the demo installed. Both programs shared the same file extension for some time, so there could be some confusion here.

Ah indeed... it was the absent of the export to wav. I couldn't listen to my song outside the tracker, and I wanted to put it in my playlist in xmplay. It was Renoise. Thats for sure.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Quote from: Louigi Verona on November 26, 2010, 10:35:09At that time it did not have tabs as far as I can remember.
ModPlug was a MDI (multiple document interface) tracker from the very beginning! Even MPT 1.0a5 can handle multiple modules and copy&paste between them.

Louigi Verona

Oh, okay, I apologize. But I still find Milky Tracker to be cute.

Saga Musix

Quote from: Louigi Verona on November 27, 2010, 06:38:59
But I still find Milky Tracker to be cute.
Nothing wrong with that, I was just wondering that someone hailing from the IT world suddenly finds an XM tracker appealing. ;D

Louigi Verona

XM format is not as good, but when it comes to basic tracking, I find both formats appropriate.