How can I determine the correct tempo to a song?

Started by jmkz, November 20, 2010, 10:16:56

Previous topic - Next topic

jmkz

I have this question. My new song, which are based (really, I took advantage while I'm doing this song, for reporting a test case of VST plugins) The clip was of this song and has 125 BPM. Is correct the tempo for this song? I think that 128 will fits too to this song.

Saga Musix

That is something your feeling and your musical taste have to answer. If in doubt, I'd export the tune at several tempos and listen to the separately with some time inbetween (i.e. not next to each other) - if you feel that one sounds too chilled or too rushed, throw it out. Though the difference between 125 and 128 is really subtle.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Also note, that if you have speed 6 and tempo 125, it doesn't really mean you are using 125 BPM. Unless of course you're using accurate BPM settings in the song properties.

Trackers tend to be slightly off.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

jmkz

Quote from: LPChip on November 20, 2010, 13:10:25
Also note, that if you have speed 6 and tempo 125, it doesn't really mean you are using 125 BPM. Unless of course you're using accurate BPM settings in the song properties.

Trackers tend to be slightly off.

Yeah, I usually use the modern tempo interpretation, since I start to use OpenMPT 1.17.02.52 (i think  ::)) instead of Modplug Tracker. All my songs are at 3 ticks per row, 8 rows per beat with modern tempo. Haha, comes to my mind when I start with OpenMPT, I used to set at 6 ticks per row, and 8 rows per beat, and the modules does not play at my "desired" tempo in other module players and i say wtf?...  ;D Well, interesting experiences over 6 years of OpenMPT...  :)

Skaven

BTW... do player libraries like BASS.DLL and Fmod take this Classic / Alternative / Modern tempo interpretation switch into account?

Saga Musix

Nope; and that's why I discourage people from using them (or any other OpenMPT-specific extensions, for that matter) in XM/IT files. BASS supports almost all features introduced by MPT classic at least, but FMOD is even worse. :)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.