Windows 7 recording/playback problem

Started by Inavon, September 28, 2010, 03:39:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Inavon

When I use my Windows 7 to record sounds with any program (or maybe just with the programs that I use) there is a high-pitched ringing sound that accompanies low-frequency sounds. This is noticeable in bass kick sounds and bass if there is not much else happening in the song. I also notice this when I create a low-frequency sine wave (55 Hz, for example) with Audacity and play it using Audacity. I have 2 Windows 7s, and both of them have this problem. Can anyone confirm this? Is there a way to fix this problem?
I have no sig—wait, what this?

LPChip

Quote from: "Trancefreak"When I use my Windows 7 to record sounds with any program (or maybe just with the programs that I use) there is a high-pitched ringing sound that accompanies low-frequency sounds. This is noticeable in bass kick sounds and bass if there is not much else happening in the song. I also notice this when I create a low-frequency sine wave (55 Hz, for example) with Audacity and play it using Audacity. I have 2 Windows 7s, and both of them have this problem. Can anyone confirm this? Is there a way to fix this problem?

If you record an empty wave, do you hear it to?

Do you hear it if you playback a silent track, or is it part of the recording?

What soundcard do you have? Are those 2 windows 7 installs on 2 different pc's with different hardware?

I'm looking into where the noise gets part of your sound. Is it during playback or during recording?

I run Windows 7 too and have no issues.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

At least it certainly isn't a problem with Windows 7. It could mean that your soundcard / onboard sound sucks. :P I was thinking of aliasing noise first, but that would be strange if you would still encounter it also in f.e. OpenMPT with Polyphase interpolation enabled. A recording of this noise would certainly help to identify the cause.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Inavon

Quote from: "LPChip"
Quote from: "Trancefreak"When I use my Windows 7 to record sounds with any program (or maybe just with the programs that I use) there is a high-pitched ringing sound that accompanies low-frequency sounds. This is noticeable in bass kick sounds and bass if there is not much else happening in the song. I also notice this when I create a low-frequency sine wave (55 Hz, for example) with Audacity and play it using Audacity. I have 2 Windows 7s, and both of them have this problem. Can anyone confirm this? Is there a way to fix this problem?

If you record an empty wave, do you hear it to?

Do you hear it if you playback a silent track, or is it part of the recording?

What soundcard do you have? Are those 2 windows 7 installs on 2 different pc's with different hardware?

I'm looking into where the noise gets part of your sound. Is it during playback or during recording?

I run Windows 7 too and have no issues.
I forgot to mention, this problem does not occur with MPT.

If I record an empty wave, I will not hear the sound. It's most noticeable with low-frequency sounds.

I will not hear it if I play back a silent track. It only occurs when there is sound.

I use Realtek High Definition Audio.

I noticed that if I export my sine wave and play it with windows media player, I will not hear the ringing sound. However, if I record sounds and save them, the ringing sound will still be present.
I have no sig—wait, what this?

Saga Musix

Quote from: "Trancefreak"I use Realtek High Definition Audio.
Well... no comment :P

I think you're dealing with aliasing noise there. Are you, by any chance, working with 8-bit samples? It sounds like the application you're working in has no interpolation enabled.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Rxn

Some hardware, like Audigy 2, is locked on a certain samplerate, 48kHz in
case of Audigy, all the other formats have to be resampled in this case.

g

I'd like to hear an example, it's hard to describe sounds with words.

Quote from: "Rxn"Some hardware, like Audigy 2, is locked on a certain samplerate, 48kHz in
case of Audigy, all the other formats have to be resampled in this case.
That's not something you'd hear that clearly tho.

Saga Musix

Quote from: "g"That's not something you'd hear that clearly tho.
I wouldn't be too sure about that, this sound chip is ubiquitous, which means that it's rather cheap.