[Epic Rock] Ethereal Voices (mptm/ogg)

Started by Saga Musix, September 01, 2010, 19:41:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

An epic track started in 2009, with ethereal voices, floating pads, crispy e-guitars and distinctive drums. Quite something you might not expect from me. :P
A shorter version of this track ranked 5th in the streamed music compo at  Evoke 2010.

http://sagamusix.de/download/ethereal_voices/
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Typing as I listen

I was interesting due to the genre. Lets see if I like Epic Rock and if I like this.

First impression: I expected something else when listening to this. I suppose I expected more rock :P Then again, I don't know the style epic rock.

I like the sound of the drums, though I find everything quite muddy. I suppose the sound could be clearer by using a bit of EQ here and there. I have a feeling it plays on old pc speakers.

Perhaps a compressor could pump up the entire piece too.

The composition itself is very nice though. Especially later in the song, I really like how that goes. A very nice and mellow flow. I feel the energy if I crank up the volume (this is due to improper mixing) but its there, so the piece is composed well. I like the pads and synths. Gives it a bit of a chiptune feel and hey, who am I to not like chiptunes :D

Also exceptional drums, I like those. Very nicely composed.

Also the chord progression and tempo changes are all great.

I suppose the only thing that could be added here is a voice. But this certainly is a high-quality (composition wise) song. Could be better if it had more clarity and possibly a bit of compression to make a difference in the sounds. Panning can help here too, but as I'm on speakers, I can't judge this aspect.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

I have strictly decided against using a compressor on the mix. It's a great thing if you want to turn up the volume because there are loud and quiet parts. That would not be possible with a compressor, and the punch of every snare hit would be lost. Consider yourself influenced by the loudness war. :P
Thanks anyway.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Quote from: "Jojo"I have strictly decided against using a compressor on the mix. It's a great thing if you want to turn up the volume because there are loud and quiet parts. That would not be possible with a compressor, and the punch of every snare hit would be lost. Consider yourself influenced by the loudness war. :P
Thanks anyway.

A compressor or limiter used properly can still give this.

But if its by design, I respect that. Doesn't justify for the lack of EQ on the snare though :P
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

KrazyKatz

I have to say you piqued my interest by your description. And then when I saw you mention keeping the dynamic range by keeping the compressors away, I was downright itchy to hear it..

I was not let down. It's beautiful man. What a lovely piece of music.

My critique is not on the composition, since it's masterful but just on the EQ in the mix. I actually found I had to turn the treble down. You have a lot going on here so it's a tough to mix, but the instruments need to sit better. Those pads are taking up all the action.

Great genre not often done. Brings me back to Chris Jarvis' 'Blue Flame'. I suspect some influence :P

Great composition. Great listen.

P.S: Love those toms.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

Saga Musix

Quote from: "KrazyKatz"My critique is not on the composition, since it's masterful but just on the EQ in the mix. I actually found I had to turn the treble down. You have a lot going on here so it's a tough to mix, but the instruments need to sit better. Those pads are taking up all the action.
Yeah, believe it or not, but the pads' treble was boosted even more initially. :P It doesn't sound too much here, but it was intentionally amplified, so it might not work on other (better) sound setups.

QuoteBrings me back to Chris Jarvis' 'Blue Flame'. I suspect some influence
Not from this track in particular (although it's also beautiful, of course). Note that the guitar solo was improvised, and I had no influence on that, so I don't know where the inspiration on that solo comes from. :)

KrazyKatz

Yeup, I hear that. I don't like comparing peoples songs to other peoples, but in this case it gave me that great feeling in the way Jarvis's pieces do, so it's a good thing here :).

Not to sound condescending, but if you like I could have a swing at the mix if you want to send me each track individually.

:welldone:
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

Saga Musix

Quote from: "KrazyKatz"Not to sound condescending, but if you like I could have a swing at the mix if you want to send me each track individually.
The source file is also available for download in the same location; all files are released under a CC-BY-NC-SA license, so give it a go if you want. :)

phanoo

The mix sounds quite good to me, there is a lot of treble but not too much to sound distubing I think. It's not agressive treble, it has something 'thin'.
You've done a good choice not to use a compressor. I hate compressed songs. A compressor should be used only on some samples if you want more punch, but not the whole track

Harbinger

Notes as i'm listening:

Excellent example of Space Rock, an often mislabeled derivative of Art Rock. Imagine if you heard Pink Floyd in heaven -- it's not just about the reverb; the song must be soulful, visionary, and well-designed. This passes.

I love the engineering and the instrumental progressions. And don't worry about it -- the FX may not be standard, but they work well with this song.

Keeping!

Saga Musix

Thank you for listening, and also thank you for unintentionally pointing me at the Ugo String Theory plugin - without it, this tune wouldn't even exist. :)

Harbinger

One of my favorites too! (along with Texture and Motion, both also by Ugo)