ITP files' relative paths to samples ?

Started by Paul Legovitch, May 31, 2010, 15:54:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Legovitch

So the other day I was reading Harbinger's help manual about the ITP format. It says the ITP format is made portable by externalysing the samples from the module data itself with a link to them, keeping the size low.
That's great because I have big samples I want to experiment with, without having to duplicate them everytime I edit an intrument with them and use them in a new song.
Plus I have two computer now and it would be nice to be able to pass only the .itp file instead of a big module when I swich from one to another.

So tell me what I'm doing wrong, it seems impossible to have a reference to the sample location, only the instruments seems to have a path set.
Is it possible to store only the samples ? Cause the .iti files are not a standard format and I don't really want to convert tons of big wav samples into .iti especially since I wanted to work on several different instruments using the same set of samples.
Plus I want to be able to work on these samples with an audio editor and I thought the ITP format would let me do this without having to save samples from ompt and then import again.

In short : How do I set the path to the samples ?

Also I tried to switch an ITP with its instruments from one computer to another. I have the instruments stored in a folder next to the ITP file but it seems that the paths to the instruments are not relative but absolute (c:\computer1\whatever\test.itp).
So the ITP file can't open the instruments on my 2nd computer, unless I set the path manually for each of them. And if I save the resulting itp and go back to my first computer, it won't load the instruments either naturally.
So... it's not portable then ?

In short : How to set relative paths ?

Thank you !

EDIT : while writting I made some further reading here and found these topic :
http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=2515.0
http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=1380.0
I've read about everywhere here that itp files have a reference to the samples' location, which is very misleading since it's not true ! ^^

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "Paul Legovitch"In short : How do I set the path to the samples ?
In short : How to set relative paths ?
In short for both: not possible for the time being. I would consider both as rather high priority todos, although I wouldn't like to see them implemented in ITP.

Paul Legovitch

Quote from: "Relabsoluness"I would consider both as rather high priority todos...
Great news ! :D
Quote from: "Relabsoluness"... although I wouldn't like to see them implemented in ITP.
Ah ? What do you mean, you would like to see them implemented in a new format, MPTMP f.e. ?

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "Paul Legovitch"
Quote from: "Relabsoluness"I would consider both as rather high priority todos...
Great news ! :D
Note that it doesn't define any time frame for the possible implementation ;)

Quote from: "Paul Legovitch"
Quote from: "Relabsoluness"... although I wouldn't like to see them implemented in ITP.
Ah ? What do you mean, you would like to see them implemented in a new format, MPTMP f.e. ?
Or perhaps simply in MPTM(with possibly a different file extension) in which ITP functionality would have been merged.