[Soundtrack] Groundshatterer (.MP3) Stealth Music

Started by TennMusMakerAdam, May 28, 2010, 20:36:33

Previous topic - Next topic

TennMusMakerAdam

Here it is.

http://download165.mediafire.com/mjhdijtnmy1g/jhcwlmzzjou/Groundshatterer.mp3

This is generally some kind of stealth or espionage sounding music, or at least that's how it seems to me.

I'm mainly looking for any useful feedback since many of you seem to be veterans.  None of the music here is really my taste, but I can recognize an elaborate track when I hear one.

Sam_Zen

Welcome !
A very good piece with nice details.
It's just lacking any panorama, only at the end some sound comes from a side.
But this could be intentional of course.

TennMusMakerAdam

Thanks for your feedback.  I'm glad you enjoyed the track, and criticism is always welcome.

But what exactly do you mean by "panorama"?  Are you saying, maybe the music wasn't directed enough or too passive?

Oliwerko

Welcome, and enjoy your stay!

By panorama he means panning, the spread of the sound in stereo. Lack of panorama is basically when all sounds are in the center.

Other than that, I really enjoy the percussions, you chose some cool sounds there.

One thing that bugs me though is the long horn-ish sound that comes about 0:30 (and then once again later) - it was quite disturbing when I was listening. Maybe lowering the volume or changing the pitch throughout the sound would help. Then again, it may be me.
I am not afraid of death.
I am afraid of murder.

TennMusMakerAdam

I made this with Modplug Tracker, and I think there is an option for panorama in that, but I'm not very experienced with that kind of thing.  I'll look into it, though.

As for the flute at 0:30, I always found that part to be soothing to the ear, but I think I know how it could be disturbing (considering it's relatively high pitch, in contrast to the rest of the song).

Well thanks for the input, glad you enjoyed it.

Sam_Zen

I agree about the horn sound. Too much suddenly on the foreground.

uncloned

Interesting...

John Marwin posted 3 percussion oriented tunes today

QuoteYeah, writing tracks that mess with FT2's pan/pitch envelopes were pretty easy to do. Also, if you combined the right commands you could also create custom effects that were normally only available to people with reason and similar SW at the time.

My three best tracks technically are these:

http://modarchive.org/index.php?request=view_by_moduleid&query=38544 <- I worked like madman on this percussion

http://modarchive.org/index.php?request=view_by_moduleid&query=32900 <- I've never been able to produce this kind of panning space since....

http://modarchive.org/index.php?request=view_by_moduleid&query=33618 <- what happens if you overlay a chord with a chord with a chord?

Now to your tune - very good piece. I found my attention wandering at 1:40 or so but came back soon. The strings (imho) are the weak point - they don't have to sound super real but they do sound weak in comparison to the rest of the piece and therefore standout to me...  - some reverberation and / or eq could go a long way to smooth that out.

TennMusMakerAdam

QuoteBy panorama he means panning, the spread of the sound in stereo. Lack of panorama is basically when all sounds are in the center.

I just noticed a setting in Modplug were you can enable a sound to be "Surround", in the General tab.  I think it's a pretty good solution; what's your take on this?

Saga Musix

Quote from: "TennMusMakerAdam"I just noticed a setting in Modplug were you can enable a sound to be "Surround", in the General tab.  I think it's a pretty good solution; what's your take on this?
It's a very bad solution. On a quad suround system, those channels will be played in the rear, and on a stereo system, they will be encoded as dolby surround (the phase of the right channel is flipped). While this might sound really cool as long as you're new to this effect, it gets annoying the more you use it. The surround option it nice for echo channels, but definitely not for the main (non-echo) channels. A better solution to add panorama to mono samples it to play them on two channels at the same time, but with a slightly different Offset (Oxx effect), delay (SD1) or slightly pitched up/down (EE1, FE1), while panning one channel 100% left and the other 100% right.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

psishock

QuoteA better solution to add panorama to mono samples it to play them on two channels at the same time, but with a slightly different Offset (Oxx effect) or slightly pitched up/down (EE1, FE1), while panning one channel 100% left and the other 100% right.
or simply normal pan the sound a bit either left or right, avoiding the dead center :). That shouldnt be hard at all, and will sound nice enough, with significant amount of instruments.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Sam_Zen

Harbinger

Notes as i'm listening...

Tassel of Blue likes the rhythmic progression more than i do, but i'm listening for chord or melodic movement. Neither of us like the faux-acoustic tone. Myself, the timbres need to be given more of their own space in stereo, and definitely bring in some FX like reverb and resonance filtering.

I can't help but think that Sam_Zen tutored this young composer! This is Primal Electronica! No wonder he liked it... :wink: