Possible to change VSTi presets using Zxx commands?

Started by Rylo, May 27, 2010, 19:07:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Rylo

I am just wondering if this is something that's possible with ModPlug tracker? It would be handy to have one VSTi which I could switch to different presets during the song rather than loading up multiple versions of the same synth.

Regards
Rylo

Saga Musix

Sure, but Zxx is the more complicated way. The simple way is to assign two instruments to the same plugin, but with different MIDI Program / MIDI Bank parameters. This is also more logical from the composer's perspective, because you have two different instruments. For accessing presets >= 128, you have to use a higher bank number, f.e. presets 0 - 127 = bank 0, 128 - 255 = bank 1, etc...

However, it's theoretically possible with Zxx as well, if you want to go the hardcore way... Use the MIDI CC 00 (Bank) and 32 (Patch), but I'm not sure if that will actually properly work with VSTi, I have justed tested this method with VST2MID any my (real) synthesizer!
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

psishock

well, to be honest, you're better of loading all your sounds to different instances, switching "on the fly" usually makes several unwanted artifacts/glitches on the synth. It may sounds nice in theory (less instances, less memory, less cpu load), but its really not comfortable in the practice (only trouble).
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Saga Musix

"in the practice" is a matter of what you are doing. Sometimes, you have to use just one instance, for example with some badly coded plugins, or for example with the V2 synth, if you want to make a demo tune and record it to V2M - Using several V2 instances is impossible then.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

psishock

I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Rylo

Jojo, that's great. I'll look into that method you suggested!

Cheers!

Rylo