[dance] Transition Zone (.mp3) Another simple song

Started by jmkz, May 17, 2010, 03:45:21

Previous topic - Next topic

jmkz

Well, this is another song better (I think) than the other mine, I like so much the environment in this song, or reverb whatever. I done this using Sinth1, V2, Unyfier 3 and P8... those are my favourite synths :D Any comment is welcome Thanks for listen!

Download: Not available at this time; a new link will be added soon.  ;)

EDIT: Deleted old link.

Oliwerko

I'm always happy to listen to something made with Unifyer 3, that's also my favourite one.

Thoughts:
- The lead melody sounded very nice when it came up.
- At 1:20, I would expect a buildup, but the tension relaxed and there was little for me to grasp after the clear lead melody, which was a bit of a disappointment. After that, there's little happening in the song, but maybe it's just me not being used to this kind of music that much.
- The bassdrum feels too punchy to my taste

It's very nice overall, esp. the technical part is done really well I think. I would however expect more melody.

Thanks for sharing, I like it!
I am not afraid of death.
I am afraid of murder.

jmkz

I agree with you, I also wanted us to have more melody, it's just that at this point my brain was fried with so many school assignments. And I like too much the bassdrum punch, but with a little less dB would be better.  :)

Oliwerko

Quote from: "djmakas"I like too much the bassdrum punch, but with a little less dB would be better.  :)

Yeah, that's better said, it's rather too loud than too punchy.
I am afraid of murder.

Harbinger

Interesting intro, nice beat, the melody probably a bit too simple (as in not complex and ornate). But i love the chord progressions. Trance normally does not do well with chord progressions, but a good composer understands what makes Trance sound like, well, Trance. Might i suggest doing a repeating motif that stays in the same register as you move thru your chord progression. Then layer your melody over or in-between the motif. And don't forget, a repeating line makes for good enough melody in most Electronic Dance Music.
As the song ends, it exposes the weakness of good chord progression in EDM: the ear will naturally expect thematic development. In Trance, this is especially important and is usually handled by layering, melody building (and perhaps voice-leading if it fits the vision), and rhythmic tricks like breakbeats or using over-FX'd percussive elements. If you don't develop your songs or layers, the listener will think the song is too short.

Nice background music, dark but not fast, and perhaps a bit too underdeveloped. As you gain more compositional skills, you will one day go back and listen to this again, and see your own musical inexperience, and perhaps update if you started with an inspiration. (No shame -- ALL of us went thru that too. :wink:)

hellscion

Sometimes in order to see the light you have to risk the dark.

jmkz

I've also done a new version (2nd) with this song. Don't expect much as I olny composed near 16 songs since 2004, (4 of them are decent, not pro [jajaj when I was? there's a lot of work and experience to being pro damn :\ ]) but better than the firsts. This new song has some corrections and a new melody:?: (from 4 possible I have made)

Download:

http://www.mediafire.com/?m2dmzzwojzy

Please comment, criticize suggest anything. Equally if I not incorporate new knowledge on current / new song is because I am working on it to aquire a basic level at least.  :wink:

jmkz

Yeah! This last is better, and so as I imagined it!

Oliwerko

To be honest I can't really say if it's better than the original or not. Probably yes. It's different, still very nice to listen to.

However, it seems there's a note off at 2:44 if I'm not mistaken, you might look into it, it sounds kind of disturbing.
I am afraid of murder.

jmkz

Thank you so much!

its a note off on a (was) crash cymbal. Im fixing it.  :D

Oliwerko

I meant a note on the lead melody that doesn't fit the current chord.

The cymbals are fine as far as I can hear.
I am afraid of murder.

jmkz

As those are strange.. I finally discover what is the problem. Its because I have save it to 32 bits per sample and causes some weird effects on the programming of the VSTi's all... I listen in 16b mode and sounds normal. I use 32b because it has better quality on post-processing with [Au] whit 16b the result is like a low quality mp3 reffering to the high frequencies. Damn! it's annoying! I came out good this time ... My lesson learned is: Do everything possible in OpenMPT and as a last option if are not good, a digital sound studio.

jmkz

I think I'm doing something wrong. Could you help me?

This is the fragment:

http://www.mediafire.com/?0kjyrtt2vdm

Oliwerko

I would, but I don't use OpenMPT, I work in Renoise. And moreover I would need all the VSTs you used to open it properly.

The note I was referring to is the last one before the theme starts to repeat again at 2:45.
I am afraid of murder.