More thoughts about the MPTM format

Started by Saga Musix, April 10, 2010, 11:05:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

Some things that might be worth looking into. I didn't do any deep investigations in what makes sense or is possible and what not, those are just some general thoughts:

- Extend volume commands. For example, Mxx and Vxx should range from 0 to FF, and it should be able to "overamplify" (but not overdrive) channels (i.e. M80 would be the default volume then - so it will be easier to make channels "louder" starting from the "default" volume).

- "MixMode RC4": The channel volumes in the general tab are relative and selected once and forever. Mxx commands in the patterns are multiplied with the values in the general tab. This way, you could f.e. have the following setup:
Main melody is playing on a channel with 100% volume, echo channels are playing with 50% and 25% volume. Now, if you suddenly want to make the main melody more quiet in the tune, you normally have to calcualte three new values. But with the new volume mode, you could simply write M80 (half volume) in all three channels, and all three channel volumes would be multiplied by 0.5 then.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

Saga Musix

Additional ideas for mixmode rc4:
- Provide panning through MIDI CCs, or maybe make it configurable per VSTi (choose between the standard MIDI CC which is not supported by all VSTis and a custom VST parameter)
- Convert the volume scale. I did not look at the code, but after listening to a sample-based module with a great dynamic range being played by a VSTi, it seems that OpenMPT's linear volumes are not converted to logarithmic volumes when being passed to VSTis.
Both features would be great to have, but they'd also break many existing tunes, so I guess they'd need to be wrapped in a new mixmode.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

doveraudio

Quote from: Jojo on December 18, 2010, 12:24:30

- Provide panning through MIDI CCs, or maybe make it configurable per VSTi (choose between the standard MIDI CC which is not supported by all VSTis and a custom VST parameter)
could this be a part of the vst drop down menu?

Quote from: Jojo on December 18, 2010, 12:24:30

- Convert the volume scale. I did not look at the code, but after listening to a sample-based module with a great dynamic range being played by a VSTi, it seems that OpenMPT's linear volumes are not converted to logarithmic volumes when being passed to VSTis.

a switch in the configuration dialog? Or again a setting in the vst instance. perhaps in the future those types of settings could be stored on a per-vst basis in an xml. that would make a happy place for macros and learned knobs too.

Saga Musix

Quotecould this be a part of the vst drop down menu?
For now, it doesn't really matter where this would be put in the UI. That's the most trivial part of the task.

Quote from: doveraudio on February 01, 2011, 08:56:11
a switch in the configuration dialog? Or again a setting in the vst instance. perhaps in the future those types of settings could be stored on a per-vst basis in an xml. that would make a happy place for macros and learned knobs too.
I wouldn't want to see this as a VST setting, just to keep things consistent with sample volumes, i.e. what I want to achieve is a similar volume scale for both samples and VSTis.