[Jazz] 70s Game Show (mp3)

Started by Harbinger, March 31, 2010, 20:36:08

Previous topic - Next topic

TheEagle

Quote from: "uncloned"what is this free downloads section?
I'm thinking it is not my site...

I think he means the "Free Music Downloads"-section right here.
I suspect he took a look into Harbingers profile ("Songs posted by Harbinger in the Free Music Downloads forum") in order to find some other songs by Harbinger. Of course that doesn't work since the modplug.com dl-server went offline...

apple-joe

I picked six Harbinger titles found on this site and checked the three folders of soonlabel.com/music, but there were no matches. I used the "edit --> search page" option of Firefox and searched for a succession of letters contained in the relevant title.

Sam_Zen

I had about 4 songs in the MP Download center. Couldn't find them back in the new database.
No big deal. Of course I've got the originals.
Every re-housing does have its damage.

Saga Musix

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"I had about 4 songs in the MP Download center. Couldn't find them back in the new database.
No big deal. Of course I've got the originals.
Every re-housing does have its damage.
So you're thinking in traditional terms here, maybe even trying to find an excuse for yourself why someone fucked up. The great thing about "digital re-housing" is that it is normally very easy not to lose anything, and I personally consider the modplug download page an archive, just like modarchive - something that should never shrink, but grow, because it archives great showcases of (tracked) music over the last decade. It would be terrible if modarchive lost one single file!
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

TheEagle

Quote from: "Jojo"The great thing about "digital re-housing" is that it is normally very easy not to lose anything...
...if regular backups had been made. I suspect that has been neglected and the "new" database is nothing else than a very old restored backup of the original database.
Tragic, but that's the way it is....

uncloned

do you guys complain about everything?

TheEagle

I'm not complaining. I only speculate about what might have happened...

Saga Musix

Quote from: "uncloned"do you guys complain about everything?
sorry, but after seeing how modplug central went down the drain over the last decade, there's not much left for me apart from complaining (and of course my humble attempt at providing at least a usable frontpage again).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

uncloned

Quote from: "Jojo"
Quote from: "uncloned"do you guys complain about everything?
sorry, but after seeing how modplug central went down the drain over the last decade, there's not much left for me apart from complaining (and of course my humble attempt at providing at least a usable frontpage again).

It is up to YOU and everyone else here to make this community what you want it to be.

That is why I offered to host the music for the modplug community. I wanted to give back, I wanted to make it better.

Saga Musix

QuoteIt is up to YOU and everyone else here to make this community what you want it to be.
Well, apparently people don't care too much about what a great (in both the "cool" and "big" sense) place this used to be anymore.

QuoteThat is why I offered to host the music for the modplug community. I wanted to give back, I wanted to make it better.
Yes, and that is very generous of you (in case you did not notice, I did never blamed you) - you just got the files and uploaded them, I would not think you left files out on purpose while uploading them. However, apparently whoever took care of this place before did not care too much about it.

uncloned

Quote from: "Jojo"
QuoteIt is up to YOU and everyone else here to make this community what you want it to be.
Well, apparently people don't care too much about what a great (in both the "cool" and "big" sense) place this used to be anymore.

QuoteThat is why I offered to host the music for the modplug community. I wanted to give back, I wanted to make it better.
Yes, and that is very generous of you (in case you did not notice, I did never blamed you) - you just got the files and uploaded them, I would not think you left files out on purpose while uploading them. However, apparently whoever took care of this place before did not care too much about it.

I didn't upload the files - what happened is explained in the thread in General.

And I think you are so wrong to say Mr X didn't / doesn't care about this place.

Kim is one of the pillars of the module scene - he has been for a very long time. Like a decade.  The money for hosting MPC and the downloads has been coming out of *his* pocket not yours.

Franky JOJO you don't know what you are talking about....

Saga Musix

QuoteAnd I think you are so wrong to say Mr X didn't / doesn't care about this place.
Right, I might not have been around here during MPC's zenith when adminstrators like MisterX still cared about this place, but what have our awesome administrators done since the last crash? Exactly 0% IMO. I am neither the site owner nor an administrator, so I cannot do much about that apart from fiddling around with a new experimental site - and until it goes live, nothing else is going to be done by the current administrators.

QuoteKim is one of the pillars of the module scene - he has been for a very long time. Like a decade.
More like the ModPlug scene (if he has done other great projects which I'm not aware of, let me know).

QuoteThe money for hosting MPC and the downloads has been coming out of *his* pocket not yours.
That is a very nice thing of course, but not the most important thing, I guess - If everyone pays a little (someone hosting the main site, someone paying for the domain, someone sponsoring a download server, like it's done right now), that's a much better system IMO.

QuoteFranky JOJO you don't know what you are talking about....
Trust me, I do. I have my opinion here, based on what I have seen in the past and what I got from other people (who shall be left unnamed), and the current situation just proves my standpoint once again.
If you don't want to face the truth, I'm fine with that, but this place is certainly not going to be a better world by just standing still and trusting in people who have not cared too much (which they even admit) about the site in the last 4-5 years.

Anyway, to not derail this thread too much: This is a fun track. Reminded me a bit of TIM: Contraptions, which has a track called "game show". Pretty similar.

uncloned

Quote from: Jojo
QuoteRight, I might not have been around here during MPC's zenith when adminstrators like MisterX still cared about this place, but what have our awesome administrators done since the last crash? Exactly 0% IMO. I am neither the site owner nor an administrator, so I cannot do much about that apart from fiddling around with a new experimental site - and until it goes live, nothing else is going to be done by the current administrators.

Jojo if you want to do more for the community than code I'm pretty sure there are things you can do.

There is more to a community than the admins and site owner. They just offer the framework that the community gathers around.

Saga Musix

Quote from: "uncloned"Jojo if you want to do more for the community than code I'm pretty sure there are things you can do.
Did I miss something?
- I'm providing one of two download mirrors
- I maintain the german MPT wiki (yeah, not useful for most of you, but it probably is the most extensive MPT documentation, next to Harbinger's docs)
- I am working on a new site for OpenMPT

Plus, what I do for the tracking scene / demoscene community in general:
- I moderate The Mod Archive
- I moderate Nectarine
- I try to host tracked music compos at demoparties where there are no tracked music compos anymore (for example Breakpoint)

What I offer to the scene is quite a lot (IMHO), and this is most likely becoming more over the next few years. The MPT community is just one little part of this. I might not have the money for donating another server for keeping up the ModPlug Download Central, but that's why there are more people than just me caring about this place and offering their resources  and spare time.

uncloned

Well, yes you are doing a lot - most of this I didn't know.

However, what I said about it being *everyone's* community still stands.

I do think being positive (even if it seems difficult) will have better chance in improving the situation than being negative.