[OT] Other forums

Started by Squirrel Havoc, March 01, 2006, 06:05:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Squirrel Havoc

I don't go to other forums much, mostly just this one, and everyone here is nice. Recently I posted on the allegro.cc forums, and got some heavy critisism just for asking questions. Not the ususal RTFM or anything, but they said I was whining and stuff. Do any of you experience this on other forums too? I notice it a whole lot on usenet too, how about you guys?
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

Randilyn

[deleted]

LPChip

I found that a forum usually reflects the perspective view of the people that lead that place.

Im not trying to put me in a good perspective so don't see this as an offensive thing.

For instance, before I was admin, MisterX did the job. He's a really nice guy, which lead this to be a nice place. When he got busy and had less time to manage the forum and the site, it reflected in a more chaotic state. When I came aboard, it went better again. Thats also why I brough Rewbs aboard as staff member. He has the same perspective view as me, which makes this place a good one.

If people tend to move from the perspective, we can act against it.

Organisation is necessary in order to let a certain image be reflected from what is being organised. Bad organisation can result in other creating a different image that is reflected from other people. This can be good, but the chances are higher that these are bad.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

speed-goddamn-focus

Considering 10 people account for 87% of all the posts here, and considering the likely thousands of users, I wouldn't be too confident regarding the state of this messageboard.

Randilyn

Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"Considering 10 people...
... with class.

Squirrel Havoc

Quote from: "Siloh"
Quote from: "Squirrel Havoc"Recently I posted on the allegro.cc forums, and got some heavy critisism just for asking questions.
That's why I don't post there very often.  The IRC channel is a much safer place to be... sometimes.

When I DO post on the forums, you can find me as stKnight.

Other forums I frequent:
- EmuUnlim
- Project Revolution

Sometimes I also check up on:
- Starcraft Team Fortress

The morale of the story is, IRC or other real-time chat mediums are in general better for asking dodgy questions and whatnot.  The slow nature of forums makes arguments quite difficult to persue for all the parties involved, which just adds on to the frustration. :p

Wow, this is one messy quote. About FakeNES, I used to use NESticle, and I used it for netplay over modem, but when I switched to broadband, it wouldn't work (something about binding to my lan card address, and not my IP address I think). Will your EMU work on broadband? If so, consider me a beta tester!
-

Relabsoluness

Squirrel Havoc

Quote from: "Relabsoluness"Modplug forum is actually pretty much the first forum I have used so I think it has, to some extent, set 'forum standards' for me. So I don't have much experience of other forums, but at times I have had to read through, for example, winamp forums, and there seems to be quite 'weird atmosphere' - for instance technical questions which in my opinion arise simply from badly designed software, seem to get quite rude answers as if people are stupid because they don't know the simple 10-step procedure to achieve some basic media player functionality. But of course, the people who answer these might have heard the question n+1-times, which may reflect in the answers.

True,but no matter how many other people you have helped with the same problem, it doesn't make this new one any less important than if he was the first one. Everyone needs help, and not many people deserve to be bitched at, especially when they are asking for help.

Can you tell I am used to working with customers at all of my old jobs? I just have the "help everyone" mentallity.  :wink:
-

LPChip

Quote from: "Squirrel Havoc"
Can you tell I am used to working with customers at all of my old jobs? I just have the "help everyone" mentallity.  :wink:

Me too actually... Well, I don't work with customers anymore, but when I used to, I had the same mentality. Its actually this mentality that got me fired there :shock: I was spending too much time with customers so others had to wait. Did have had lots of compliments from customers though.

But its very simple. If people are not having a good time at a place you manage, they'll leave. As result, your place will become empty. Even though you can manage your place, it are the people in it that give a certain appearance of the place. Seeing that is what management is all about.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Squirrel Havoc

Quote from: "LPChip"

Me too actually... Well, I don't work with customers anymore, but when I used to, I had the same mentality. Its actually this mentality that got me fired there :shock: I was spending too much time with customers so others had to wait. Did have had lots of compliments from customers though.

But its very simple. If people are not having a good time at a place you manage, they'll leave. As result, your place will become empty. Even though you can manage your place, it are the people in it that give a certain appearance of the place. Seeing that is what management is all about.

So what your saying is that people have a good time since you are such a nice guy? And we reflect that?

I'll buy that!  8)
-

Louigi Verona

mpt forums are not very active. posts appear frequently, but only a few people hang around. CTG is more active, more different people post stuff. the lesser people, the easier for the forum to be friendly.
in big communities newbies sometimes make mistakes, asking questions that were already covered in the forums before, or just not being able to 'flow in' the right stream of communication. that only means that the poster who was severely criticized did something wrong. blaming the community is usually the wrong thing to do. headology :)

LPChip

Quote from: "LPChip"

So what your saying is that people have a good time since you are such a nice guy? And we reflect that?

I'll buy that!  8)

I was actually saying that we are ALL responsible for that, but if a community misses a good manager, it can let the wrong people take over.