[Ambient-ish] Visions of a Seagull (.MP3) One synth thingie

Started by Nahkranoth, March 14, 2010, 22:11:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Nahkranoth

As in previous case, this is another track made with only one synth, this time it is Synth1.
Unlike my other "opus" this is too personal and filled with some of that inner soul trash that I've absorbed during the last year. Some sad things, hopes that went into sh*t and other uninteresting stuff.
This is the first time that I've used Synth1 for more than just random noodling and listening to different presets.
Visions of a Seagull.mp3
As always, critique and praises are always welcome.

Sam_Zen

Well, praise would be appropriate here..

Very good panning production. I like the unusual combination of very dry pops and ticks on one side,
and the dreamy sounds on the other side.

uncloned

the percussion reminds me a bit of Bjork's Vespertine album = nice ambient washes here.

Nahkranoth

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Well, praise would be appropriate here..

Very good panning production. I like the unusual combination of very dry pops and ticks on one side,
and the dreamy sounds on the other side.
Thanks, Sam! It's hard sometimes to put instruments properly in the stereo field without it sounding static, so out of laziness I usually apply some stereo widening, subtle choruses and autopan. And I've been into clicky rhythms for a while now.

Quote from: "uncloned"the percussion reminds me a bit of Bjork's Vespertine album = nice ambient washes here.
Never heard it, but thanks for this comparison to the classics :D Those percussions were "inspired" by some works of Lamb and Nurykabe.

TheEagle

Enjoyed! Indeed a quite good production and an excellent choice of instruments/sounds...

Great work, Nahkranoth.

Nahkranoth

Hehe, good production thanks to thin sounding presets I guess, as I suck at mixing :oops: But it's one of the tracks I'm really proud of.
It seems to me that if you put a lot of emotions into your work the result is always rewarding, no matter how simple it is in the end. Anyway, I'm biting the dust in the KVR's challenge, but it doesn't bother me at all :D
Now I should really listen to what have been posted here, I hope I'm not missed too much of stuff :wink:

psishock

o, a peaceful pleasant melodic piece :o, good job Nahkranoth. Almost all instrument seems to fit in place, but i think the bass just dont go with the rest :D. Either loose it, or try to do something with it. It's definitely not a "sh*t" piece, it's just dont have too heavy variations, that may keep the listeners attention. I liked it.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Nahkranoth

Thank ye, psi! My tracks don't usually get much comments from you :D
About the bass: what's wrong with it? I wanted this exact sound and now you've spoiled everything :lol: It worked for me and someone (forgot the name, thought it was clones, but re-reading the posts it seems like it was on KVR lol :lol: ). Is it too soft/rubbery/weak? I honestly can't think of any other that would fit better. If you can give some off-the-top example I'd like to hear it. Maybe some wooden FM? I'm really curious now :wink:
[EDIT]
Hehe, I'd be a prostitute if I'd knew how to please everyone :lol:

psishock

QuoteThank ye, psi! My tracks don't usually get much comments from you :D
depends on my mood :D, there are times when i check the free download area and comment all the fresh tunes 'till i run out of time. And not least, i'm trying to follow the progress of my friends on the ompt central (with more or less success). :)

QuoteAbout the bass: what's wrong with it?
Well listen to the sounds, everything is nicely panned, reverbed, effected and modulated in this piece. The bass sounds as a plain, un-effected raw sample, the sounds itself may fit onto the piece, i know whacha mean by "wanting this exact sound here", but it needs some additional tweaking, i would raise it on the technical level, where the other instrument are, to archive that golden balance over the timbres. I hope you get the idea (more or less).

QuoteHehe, I'd be a prostitute if I'd knew how to please everyone
if "professional" musicians can please most of the ears, then yes, you can call them prostitutes. Don't be afraid to be one, at least it feels good when you work, and you do joy to other people as well. xD

Nahkranoth

I thought there was something wrong with the sound itself, but if you mean some further processing I don't really know what I can do with it. It is already mono-ed in bass freq, can't add nothing more, or else it will conflict with bassy pad, which is chorused and widened. Sidechaining with kick - the bass will totally drown in some not so subtle parts. Any suggestions? What would you do?

psishock

Well there are tons of way that you can "change" it. I could give you direct examples, but i really dont want to mess with your creative process, do what you think it works best for you.

One of my examples, i would modulate the basic waveform with other waveforms, on 20-40% wet/dry level, that are constantly changing with hand drawn and arranged linear, or LFO-ed envelopes. This wouldn't change the overall sound completely, but will change the sounds "texture" and will sounds a bit more "advanced", all the time moving and modulated, so it would give overall a better experience and not a raw, static stock sample feel.

Working with 2 separate bass instruments, modulating them differently, and panning them to 10-15% can add an enhancing experience too, and still wont interfere with other frequencies and with more wider panned instruments.

KrazyKatz

Also an enjoyable listen :)

I don't think it's a bad mix. But don't be afraid to get more dangerous with reverb and echoes ;)

I don't like to sound patronizing but it really seems that you are musically growing into something big. I mean this sounds like you are on the way to some mind blowing pieces in the future. I'll be keeping an eye out ;)
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

Nahkranoth

Thank you for your time and comments, KrazyKatz!

Quote from: "KrazyKatz"don't be afraid to get more dangerous with reverb and echoes ;)
Was thinking I overdid it, glad it's the opposite way :lol:

Quote from: "KrazyKatz"I don't like to sound patronizing but it really seems that you are musically growing into something big. I mean this sounds like you are on the way to some mind blowing pieces in the future. I'll be keeping an eye out ;)
*got no words* :oops:
If nerves and bad habits won't make the other way around faster, then I'd like to think so :lol:
Anyway thanks for your time and kind words, KK! :D
Ah, to say something good in response: I'm trying to incorporate some bellsy sounds after being inspired by your tunes :oops:  :gjob: