[?] No Rogues Were Harmed (.MP3) One synth thingie

Started by Nahkranoth, March 14, 2010, 21:52:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Nahkranoth

After a pretty long period of absence, I'd like to post something. I'm trying to participate in monthly KVR's One Synth Challenge just for the sake of doing something, to force myself not to sit like a veggie and here is one of them results, crappy or not I'm still not sure.
A short description:
Made using only one monosynth (11 instances or so) called Rogue.
It's not worthy using at a regular basis, but given time, the results can be overwhelming (well, not in my case tho).
No rogues were harmed.mp3 during tracking of this stuff.
This is kinda chaotic, something was in my head already, and something was pulled out of my ass (frankly, most of it). Something is not even mine :wink:

Thanks goes to Clones for being such a nice guy to host it :gjob:
[EDIT] Forgot to say, the comments were ranging from total crap to something better, so I'd like to hear your opinion.

Sam_Zen

Quite a funny piece. It gives the impression of an exercise in sounds though.

uncloned

I especially like the part that starts to sound like ELP - I think about 2/3rds through.

No problem on hosting!!  :D

Nahkranoth

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Quite a funny piece. It gives the impression of an exercise in sounds though.
Hehe, it is an excercise indeed :D I'd call it even a struggle to get some more or less decent sounds.

Quote from: "uncloned"I especially like the part that starts to sound like ELP - I think about 2/3rds through.
So you're the only one who liked that part, except me of course :lol:
It's a bit of "Hut of Baba Yaga" that I like very much and always wanted to put somewhere :oops:

TheEagle

A nice and melodic piece. And it sounds like that you put a lot of  work into it...

Well done, Nahkranoth.

Nahkranoth

Thanks, MrEagle for your time! The main challenge was to glue those different parts together, as I didn't have the main theme ready, it was more of "where it will lead me" kind of thing. And of course it's really hard to get decent drum sounds out of Rogue.

psishock

Another cool piece Nahkranoth, and a crazy enough one this this time 8). I would loose that filtered supersaw xD, it sounds too "crappy mainstream" compared to all those other cool choice of instruments. The structure has a tons of interesting variations, i was totally focused to this piece while listening. I love how you've stretched and played with all those leads, it was a pleasure listening to this piece. 2:22+ is the most coolest lead solo.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Nahkranoth

Wow, good to hear that you've liked it!
Quote from: "psishock"I would loose that filtered supersaw xD, it sounds too "crappy mainstream" compared to all those other cool choice of instruments.
OMG! I'd better be underground than mainstream 8)
Hehe, I didn't even think about its "supersawness", just called it "stabs" :D But something made me uneasy about it, now I know what exactly :lol: May change it in near future, but I'm not a perfectionist ::)
Either way I'm glad that nothing makes you feel bad about the structure, because it was bothering me most of all.
Quote2:22+ is the most coolest lead solo
Thanks to ELP and Mussorgsky :D

psishock

nah, dont be bothered about the structure, its awesome and very creative. ^_^ It works like a charm.

Quotebut I'm not a perfectionist
well i'm aiming to be one, as you know. :D So i am picky when commenting seriously. If i find something, that does not fit in the whole picture, or would change something coz of some reason, i will mention that. =)
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Nahkranoth

As I'm starting to keep the sources for a while now (finally :lol: ), it won't be a problem to change something. I just don't want to return to that ugly synth, it's a PITA to use :lol:

KrazyKatz

Cool! I really liked this piece! It's an inspiring construct, and some of the sounds throughout are first class.

I you want criticism, you can hear the that it's the same synth throughout since it  has a very distinct feel, although this synth clearly has a lot of versatility. So to some, I guess it could use a different timber at times.

Personally I feel it's like a chiptune on protein packs :P. And as a chiptune it doesn't need any timbrel changes.
Very enjoyable listening.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

Nahkranoth

Quote from: "KrazyKatz"Cool! I really liked this piece! It's an inspiring construct, and some of the sounds throughout are first class.
Oh, thanks KrazyKatz! I struggled not to make it boring :oops:

Quote from: "KrazyKatz"I you want criticism, you can hear the that it's the same synth throughout since it  has a very distinct feel, although this synth clearly has a lot of versatility.
It "fries" every sound with its trademark distortion :D

Quote from: "KrazyKatz"So to some, I guess it could use a different timber at times.
Blame me for that, I try to use as few instruments as I can. Bad habit, but it's hard to overcome :D

Quote from: "KrazyKatz"Personally I feel it's like a chiptune on protein packs :P. And as a chiptune it doesn't need any timbrel changes.
Very enjoyable listening.
You've just made made my day! Thanks!

mrvegas

Had to log back in just to say how much I liked this.  Quite insane, but very, very good and enjoyable.  Nice Mussorgsky reference.

KrazyKatz

Yeah it's great. Just a reprise from me. I'd go find someone developing a cool flash side-shooter and use it for the in game action.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

Nahkranoth