[Trance] Don't Look Back (.mp3) Trance with a Hook

Started by Zaphoid, March 10, 2010, 21:23:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Zaphoid

Trance with a tune you can hum.  Don't really know what to say about it other than I worked damn hard on it and hope that someone likes it.  I

http://zaphoid-music.net/Music/DontLookBack.mp3

f anyone cares I actually did land a contract to be featured on a  DJ mixed compilation called Destination Rio.  I was approached by Hotshotrecords.us based out of miami to use my track M31 Andromedia Gazer  

Here is the most current mix I have of it.  http://zaphoid-music.net/Music/M31.mp3

The reason I mention this is to say if I can do it then Signal Chain can!!!

Rakib

Why does your synth sound so nice and beatiful, when the hihats and claps is so bad?
^^

Zaphoid

which one are speaking of and by the way I like dirty sounding hats.  For M31 I just used white noise for hats and clap is a well just your typical twack twack clap.  Some ppl hate claps though.

Oliwerko

The stereo of the noise-ish synth in Don't look back seems to me that it's too wide.

Other than that, I have not much to say.
I am not afraid of death.
I am afraid of murder.

Rakib

The first song. I'm guessing that's the one up for review.

Just felt that your clap and hihats sounded to simple and dirty compared to the rest of the instruments. And I love claps, used in almost all of my songs
^^

Sam_Zen

A decent piece. I was not tempted to hum along though.

psishock

congrats for the contract Zaphoid, and tnx for good wishes.

Fast "ramping" note changes are maybe too aggressive for this piece, i would soften those parts with linear slides or some different approach, they cause mood break in this form. The other stuff sounds alright. Maybe this piece has too little to "tell" to be this long, but in other hand, it could have been a good opportunity to test your solo lead skills :D. You dont seems to like to putter with timbres and overall sounding much, thus the most of the sounds are just raw, but in the end, they serve their purpose.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Harbinger

Yes, congratulations, and you deserve it!!

Your music is some of Tassel of Blue's favorite (and mine) and she has incorporated many of your track tricks into her own sound!

Keep up the good work, and don't forget us here at this little corner cafe on the net! :wink:

Zaphoid

Thank you Harbinger for the praise!  I would recommend getting yourselves signed up at soundcloud that is where my stuff was discovered.  

psishock your right I don't like tweaking timbers too much.  I focus more on getting the melody right and I get bogged down with tweaks too much in the past.  Im not sure I follow you on the ramping note changes so maybe make a note of the timestamp of where you are talking about.  Been awhile since I even listened to it.  When I finish something I tend to move forward and wipe my mind of what is already accomplished.

psishock

QuoteI get bogged down with tweaks too much
well, simply dont look at it as "bogging down", but as the part of the composition. Every single part of the composition process will improve the overall quality and the listening experience of the song. It is important imho as the basic instrument choice or the structure.

QuoteIm not sure I follow you on the ramping note changes so maybe make a note of the timestamp of where you are talking about.
Ramping pitch slides, you know, as not "linear" or "exponential", for instance about 03:48. That is really pushing you out from the mood, its not really fitting there.

QuoteWhen I finish something I tend to move forward and wipe my mind of what is already accomplished.
good for you :D, i mostly "live" with all of my musics, i tend to play the melodies from them in my head all the time, almost as they are haunting me. It's maybe a bad habit, since i compose in head.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)